Review by Yachy

"Fast and Furious, eat your heart out"

I was hesitant to buy this game, as the other reviewers at gamefaqs gave it 5s or mere 7s. I didn't want to spend $50 better saved up for Mario Sunshine or Metroid Prime if the game was that bad. However, Burnout seemed like a lot of fun in the shots and replays I'd seen so i decided to give it a try. Burnout is one of the greatest games I've ever played, and is now my all-time favorite racer.

Graphics
10/10
So pretty....Burnout has some of the most attractive scenery of a racer, and some cool night-lighting and dust-kicking effects. The crashes are by far the best, however. As Moe states in The Simpsons: Road Rage; ''It's ok, car crashes turn me on.'' Burnout has the most attractive and addictive crashes of all time. My friends and I scream so much at every gorgeous crash scene we've made ''AAaaaaaaAAAAA!!!'' a new vowel, or at least a new hiragana symbol. In a crash replay, you can rotate the camera, vary the speeds, watch it all backwards, etc. If only we could watch it from the other car's point of view....

Music
2/10
What's up with the music? I swear the theme to Phantom of the Opera was in there somewhere. The music is not only reminscient of the Midis of bad, first-gen gameboy games, but the various tracks have nothing to do with racing. Slow songs accompany you traveling at 135 mph on the wrong side of the road...very odd and not the least bit appropiate.

Gameplay
8/10
Sometimes the controls seem a bit too sluggish on the larger cars. I understand a muscle car would have less handling than a smaller one, but at times the muscle car and the pickup can barely be used they're so bad. The game is extraordinary fun, as you drive down the wrong side of the road collecting bonuses for getting friggin' close to other cars without atcually touching them. There are no weapons, but you can have fun setting up roadblocks and traps for your computer-controlled antagonists. Try bumping an innocent hatchback into the path of an oncoming 18-wheeler. The 18-wheeler may spinout out, flip over, and its payload will spin across the street smashing your pursuit off the cliff.

Replay
9/10
You never want to go back to this game for the music. You DO want to go back to it for the beautiful, beautiful crashes. Making the loudest, largest, most exlosive crashes in the universe will always bring me back.

Overall
9/10
The music and the occasionaly handling problems don't subtract from this game's highpoints. The crashes, the death and the destruction...sweeeett......

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/08/02, Updated 06/08/02