Review by Christophee

"A good effort from the EA Sports team"

EA have been making sports games for a long time and they make a lot of money out of it but very often with EA Sports games there seems to be a case of getting the job done adequately and not put too much effort into making the game a masterpiece. So, as you can gather with the fact that the only next-gen console I have is a GameCube, when i heard that the only F1 game to be coming out on it was the EA offering I wasn't too optimistic that the game would be any good. However, I got it anyway and this is what I think of it:

Graphics
Just one word needed to describe this - Breathtaking! The graphics are as good as I have seen for any F1 game ever. The cars are beautifully crafted, they really do look wonderful. The scenery around the tracks is superb and you really get the feel of a Formula 1 atmosphere. All the cars have the 2002 sponsors on them and they all look exactly like the real thing! The tracks also look great with lush green grass and gravel traps around them. The graphics of this game are brilliant.

Audio
The cars sound great. When you ride onboard with the driver you can hear the fabulous sound of the engine roaring out at the back of the car. Also, while you are riding, you can hear the sound of the crowd cheering you on. There is also a member of the pit crew who talks to you on the car radio, giving you information on the weather, race standings and advice on what to do in the race, which is very helpful. The sound of the game is very good.

Gameplay
Overall, the gameplay is good, with the player needing to find the right braking points for corners, realistic damage and consequences, real rules and penalties if they are not followed and the thrill of going for that Grand Prix victory. However, there are many flaws in the game. It seems rather too easy to get round the track quickly as it doesn't matter which line you take for most corners. It is incredibly easy to run into the back of other cars and take them out of the race. The biggest and strangest fault I have seen is that sometimes, after watching a replay during the race, it puts you back into the race in a completely different position. This has ruined the game for me many times as I fight my way to the front of the field, watch a replay and when I continue the race the game has put me last. But these flaws aside the game plays reasonably well.

Lifespan
This game has lasted me a very long time as there is so much to do on it. Before you can take part in any championships you must complete a set of challenges requiring you to get round corners, take pit stops and drive in the rain. When you have done enough of those, there are a number of championships available for you to try including a team-mate challenge where the aim is the beat the other member of your team. There are also many multiplayer options meaning that you can play the game with your friends. This game will last you ages.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/14/03, Updated 04/14/03