Review by Auron255

""F-Zerooo! (Crowd Hissing)" Well, Almost..."

Before I start, this game is the reason i decided to pick up a Gamecube...again. And I was pleasantly suprised to find that a game I'd hope would make the purchase worth it, made it more than worth it, and encourages me to keep looking for those hidden gems in the GC library of games (since there are so few good games out there for it).

Story 10/10

This game sports a great storyline. I won't spoil any of it. Seriously, the story starts right off the bat in Story mode, that if I said anything to you about the story, I'd have this review deleted for Spoilers. Though I will tell you this. Even though the story isn't in depth, or ground breaking, its just the kind of story a racing game needs. It focuses on Captain Falcon, the hero of F-Zero, and a few other F-Zero racers. In between races (I like to call them ''missions''), you will be treated a slew of FMV sequences that tell the story to the gamer. The FMV seqeunces are finely polished, and every detail is shown through when you have close ups of the differenet racers.

Gameplay 9/10

The gameplay is very solid. There a few modes to chose from, and several racers to unlock. The gameplay is pretty straight forward; you race specific characters, up to 30 people can race at one time. And with all of this, there is absolutely no slow down in the game. (Well, none that i've experienced). The gameplay is so perfect, and the controls so finely tuned that it hurts me to even consider having a quibble with this game. This game sports a rather intimidating difficulty. Not too long into the game you'll think that the entire game is impossible, since the speeds are so high, and there are so many racers to beat. But its actually not that hard to get the hang of. You may have to retry a few tracks here and there, but overall, you should be able to get a grip of using the X-slide and the air brake turns. The good thing about this game, is that when you are goin around a corner, you under go so much centripetal acceleration that you actually speed up instead of slowing down.

Controls 10/10

The controls are the best for any racing game for the Gamecube. Your L and R buttons will do sharp turn/air brake, the A button accelerates, the Y button boosts, and you can use the X in conjunction with the analog stick to do some side swipe maneuvers to veer other racers off of the track, and/or slow them down, so you can get ahead. There isn't much more to say, the controls are simple and they work, and simply put, they are perfect.

Graphics 10/10

The graphics are incredible. THe tracks that you race on are humongous, and I mean that. They are so long, and big, that you'd think the GC would have to constantly read the disc in order to keep drawing the tracks, but it doesn't. Each track loads completely, and then you're off. Not to mention the motions are extremely fluid, although can be a little shaky when you are going at ultra high speeds, but its nothing to quibble about. The vehicle models are shiny and well polished. There isn't much to complain about in the graphics deparment either. This game was worked very maticulously, and every detail was reworked until it was perfect, and it shows.

Sound/Soundtrack 9/10

The sound effects are something else. The screeching, the roaring, the voice overs, everything is great. You really have to experiencce the sound effects to understand how fantastic they really are. But I can tell you about the soundtrack. The soundtrack is great. ITs a techno mix of different styles of music from rock, to hip-hop beats, to old 70's style music. It even sports the theme song from Super Smash Bros. Melee in Captain Falcons Speedway. The only problem here, is that the music gets old, and fast. It will start getting on your nerves before anything else, it is in every sense of the word, repetitive, but its still good music, so I can't penalize it that much for getting old, quick. I think I went leniant on the sound of this game, but the rest of the games elements like the graphics, gameplay and STORY! (one of the only racing games with a story mode), are so outrageous, you won't be focusing too much on the sound, even though its still there.

Final Score 9/10

This game is near perfect. F-Zero GX is by far one of the best racers, and over games for the GC. There really aren't many games on the GC that stack up to this calibur of game. Its hard to say where F-Zero stands among other greats like Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 0, and Super Smash Bros. Melee, but it is up there on the list of must-have GC games.
My only quarrel with this game is the intimidating difficulty (which is easily overcome) and the repetitiveness of the soundtrack.
This is definately a ''buy'' game. Although, if you aren't a racing game fan, do rent it first, I mean, some people just hate racing games, so in that case I urge a rental before purchase, but for the Racing Game Gurus, and even the people slightly interested in Racing; this game offers a good selection of fantasy, action, story and racing, all in one game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/03