Review by KoD e946

"Wow"

Ok... where to start? As you may know, F-Zero GX is the sequel to the game F-Zero X for the nintendo 64. This review will compare the two games at many points. F-Zero X was, until today, the best racing game I have ever played. GX now takes it's spot. All of the features included in F-Zero X are there and improved on in GX.

Graphics- 10/10
from the beginning, the picture is very sharp, and the frame rate is constant, even with buildings zooming by and 29 other racers on the track. The background is VERY detailed. There are buildings everywhere, and, on may tracks, you can see more of the city beneath the track though transparent sections. The racers themselves are more detailed, and it is much easier to tell who is who on the track than in X.

Music and sound- 8/10
This is the worst of the categories. While the music fits the track that it's played on, it just doesn't give me the same feel as the music in X did. The sound is fine, except for the sound when you use a personal boost.

Gameplay- 9/10
The main story for gameplay? Complete different sections of the game to get tickets. with these tickets, you can buy things from the shop. Parts, all cars but the original four (The Blue Falcon, Golden Fox, Wild Goose, and Fire Stingray), more chapters in the story, and a few other hidden things are ALL bought with these tickets.

You can, with the parts that you buy even create a custom car! These cars that you create can be raced in any of the modes, but it us sometimes hard to find the right combination of parts.

In grand prix mode, there are three cups of five tracks each, with three difficulty options to chose from on each of the cups. Novice, Standard, and Expert. As you may have guessed, the cups get significantly harder on higher difficulty levels.

You may note that, while the AI is harder than in X, it is much more competitive among itself, ultimately evening the difficulty out when it comes to the grand prix.

Control- 10/10
While similar, the handling in GX is more complicated than in X. At first, they may seem bad, I advise you to just sit the fist half an hour out playing time attack, getting used to the controls. No more can you blindly keep tapping the boost button from the start of lap 2 until the end of the race. You must carefully time each boost, which can take a while to master. If you were to ask me if there was one thing in this category that I didn't like, I would say the jumping. I didn't like how hard it is to get your car going forwards over a gap.

Overall- 9.5/10
Just improve the music and make the jumping a little less touchy, and this game would be perfect. Buy it, rent it, borrow it from your friend-get this game any way you can.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/03