Review by Maximus88

"If you only get one racing game a year get this!"

I usually do not like racing games, the only exceptions being Mario Kart, Midnight Club, and F-Zero. I got F-Zero for the SNES, but I missed out on the one made for the N64. When I first heard that they were releasing a new F-Zero game for the Gamecube I couldn't wait to buy it. I was a little worried before I got it because every review I read said that it was so hard many people would never be able to beat it. But when I got the game it turned out to be so much fun that I didn't even mind having to re-do levels that I lost on.

Graphics (8/10): I think that this games graphics are very good. You are usually moving at around 1,000-1,500 KMh so it is hard to stop and actually look at the graphics. But the graphics you can see, such as car details and speed effects, such as trails left by cars are very well done.

Sound (7/10): I've never been a big fan of video game music, but this soundtrack isn't that bad. You are usually to busy focusing on the race to pay attention to the song, but when you do actually pay attention you realize that the songs are actually pretty good. Each character has their own individual song as well. You can hear these while you check out their personal information and the vehicles they use.

Gameplay (8/10): This game is really, really fun. You can choose between a Grand Prix mode where you play against 29 computer controlled players, a VS. mode where you can play against your friends, and a Story mode where you have to perform certain objectives. These include beating someone to the end of a track and having to collect badges on the course AND finish it on time. These range from pretty easy to insanely hard.

Extras/Replay Value (9/10): I think this is where the game really shines. It has so many unlockables, difficulties, and optional things to do that it will keep you wanting to play it for a long time. There are 3 different difficulties and even the easiest difficulty can sometimes be hard. You will have to master the game to beat the hardest difficulty though. You start out with only 4 of the 30 pilots and unlock the rest as you get farther in the game. You can also make your own ships to race with. There are a lot of different parts you can make your ship with, which you also unlcok the farther into the game you get.

Recap
Extras/Replay Value: 9/10

So, if you are looking for one of the best racing games, you should definately check this out, even if you haven't played the first two F-Zero's. You will most likely be happily surprised.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/03