Review by Muk1000

"The F-Zero Tournament has just heated up..."

F-Zero GX is nothing short of mind-blowing. The game excels in all areas, but I guess that is to be expected, considering the incredible match of former rivals Nintendo and Sega. This game is truly a new-age classic.

Graphics seems to be a popular way of judging games today, so I'll cover them first. The cut scenes in F-Zero GX's story mode actually rival FFX's FMVs. In fact, I personally think they are even better. The actually gameplay graphics are nothing to scoff at either. Everything is incredibly detailed, and there is no slowdown whatsoever. Even minor things look great, such as small bolts of electricity brimming under your racer as you hit the boost button.

30 characters. 20 tracks. 1000 kilometers per hour.
Welcome to F-Zero GX.
This game offers and exhilarating experience, sending you into a story mode with Captain Falcon, and the Grand Prix, which you can choose any character for. Bombs, 90 degree turns, corkscrews, drops, loops, jumps, and underwater passages litter the courses. Simply put, the gameplay is amazing.

Controls: 10/10

The controls are very simple to use, and there is almost no learning curve. You can literally jump right into this one and learn most of the basics in one or two races. Some things, such as attacking other opponents, are difficult to learn, but they are not essential in the beginning, so it isn't an issue. The controls have lighting fast responses, too, an absolutely necessity in the more difficult stages, where there is no margin for error whatsoever.

Difficulty: 10/10

If you dislike challenges, stop now. You won't like this.

Simply put, F-Zero is incredibly hard. On the easiest difficult. Doing everything in this game is not only a test of skill, but a test of insurmountable patience as well. This goes right up there with other great Next-Gen challenges like Super Monkey Ball and Ikaruga. In my opinion, challenge is a good thing. But if you are very easily frustrated, prepare for quite a bit of anger.

Replay: 10/10

Do I really need to cover this? All those characters and tracks are there for a reason, you know. Not to mention multiplayer against your friends, too.

F-Zero GX is easily one of the best games this generation. Speed, excitement, and difficulty, all wrapped up in a neat little package. So what are you waiting for? Start your primitive car and go get this game!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/03