Review by Urafaerie

"Who says games this gen are easy!?"

Introduction: This is my first time playing an F-zero game, and I have to say I’m impressed. The thing that brought me in now was the speed, graphics and all of the sweet unlockables that are possible to get in this game. I’ve made it quite far now and can tell you that THIS IS one of the best games on the Gamecube.

Gameplay 10/10: This is truly where the game shines. Each level is nearly perfect in design for this game and all are a blast. There are around 30 cars but you only start off with a few. To gain use of all the cars, you must gain tickets to buy them with. Tickets are won by completing chapters in story mode and/or grand prix. Now you probably want to know about the cars, right? Well, each car can reach speeds so fast you’ll want your mother. Plus, after the first lap, each car gains the ability to boost. Every time you boost, your energy bar goes down, don’t reach the bottom or you’ll be susceptible to “retiring” or blowing up. To gain energy there are large platforms or pit stops that you can ride over to gain more energy, don’t worry it wont slow you down. You can also attack your enemies by doing a spin attack to hit them off the course or an attack that bumps them, further damaging their vehicle. (yes, computer played cars can blow up and “retire” from the race) Finally, there are different terrain in this game. First, there is a some friction-metallic like terrain that makes it easier for you to crash. Next, there is a terrain that looks like dirt, it slows you down. Then there is a booster platform that pushes your car ahead (think of it like boosting, without the loss of energy. Finally, there is a platform that lets you get some air. This allows you to transfer tracks or skip ahead a bit.

Story 8/10: The story in this game is no Final Fantasy, but at least it has one. An evil racer has one more chance to prove himself, so he destroys parts of the city. Its your job (as Captain Falcon) to stop him. This is HARD! Each level consists of a task (whether it’d be racing or escaping from a building about the explode)

Graphics/Sound 9/10: The graphics are the best yet I have seen in a racing game. (that has came out) Everything is so detailed and vibrant. Of course, a game needs sound and this game has great sound. The music is mostly all techno, and a lot of it is good. Others are just songs that’ll be forgotten after playing. The only bad thing is the voice overs in F-zero News. Well, now that I think of it, its really funny the way they talk, its so cheesy. In story mode I thought they were fine though.

Replayability 10/10: This game has so many extras and things to do its not funny (not that it ever was, but...) First, you have the cars to unlock, next the customizable ship parts, more tracks, Versus mode, Emblem designer. Its up there with Animal Crossing in replayability. For those who never played that, ITS HIGH.

Final Recommendation: If your looking for a challenge after playing The Wind Waker, this is it, hardest game this generation in my opinon. As I said, one of the best Gamecube games out there, go, go out now and buy it! a must-have game!

Score: 10/10