Review by Sam Botwan

"A split in time has been made, this game is the reason..."

Introduction
TimeSplitters2 is a First Person Shooter (FPS) player’s dream. In my most humble opinion, this is one of the greatest FPS games of all time. Sadly, no one person can tell another what that other likes, though I can tell you bits and pieces of this game. So far, I have checked out as much as possible in my first playing of this game, which happened to be a straight six hours. Keep in mind I have never played the first TimeSplitters.

Story: 9
TimeSplitters2 is about a hideous race known as the “TimeSplitters.” They are basically running through time, eliminating the fabrics of our history. It is the player’s job to follow the TimeSplitters through time to end their evil and vile schemes at ending our future. It almost makes me proud.

Music: 10
I never like music in games, because it is usually annoying. There are, of course, some exceptions to the rule of thumb that says music is awful in all games. This is one of those exceptions. Often times, I find myself just standing there tapping my foot to the low music that plays while there is not much going on. This game has been greatly detailed, and, believe it or not, even the music has been detailed. Sure, you are thinking I am stupid because most all games now-a-days have music that heightens when there is a whole lot of action going on. I can tell you that the music is hard to explain, because the action takes focusing, but I have noticed it peaks then lowers sometimes, almost like in a thriller/horror flick. Awesome stuff.

Sound: 10
You never know what to expect with a game. Usually the sound gets tiring after a while. TimeSplitters2’s sound makes you feel like you are actually firing the weapon right there! Add this with the rumble feature of the GCN’s controller, and you get excellence at its best. If you pay close attention to the bullets on any weapon, you can tell that the sounds of the shot, the bullet flying out of the muzzle, the bullets flying past you, and the impacts are all in sync. Even the characters’ voices go with their mouths. I haven’t found a spot yet where this is not the case.

Gameplay 10
All right! Now we are to the “juice” of this review. No doubt this is all anyone is really going to read, so on we go. TimeSplitters2’s controls are fully customizable. I only went in to check these out just to make sure Z was auto-fit to be used as a weapon’s secondary function, and ended up getting awed at all you could do. That, in my opinion, is all a FPS is about, freedom of hassle. Well, on to better things: You have many different things to choose from, literally. Story You can do the story mode, which takes you through the story about the TimeSplitters. This is fun, in that you get things from this. Arcade League/Custom which is very fun with multiple players. Challenge mode is what got me. I love the Challenge mode, in which you can do many things. One thing is where you get to shoot off some zombie heads. Some heads are gonna roll. MapMaker one of the many main reasons why I bought this game is for this ability. Despite what ANYONE will tell you, Map Maker is great. You can make out a story mode, and all the multiplayer things it will let you. With seven levels worth of multiplayer game making and multiple options, including being able to enter in triggers and actions, I think I will be making many multiplayer/story mode games.

Replayabilty 9
Is there an actual end to this game? The day when I run out of things to do with this game is the day I lose my imagination. An imagination is all that is required if you want to keep on playing this game until the next TimeSplitters. Hey, I can dream, can’t I? The story mode won’t make you want to come back for more if the slow first mission makes you want to kill someone. Everything else could (or should I say can?) be played over and over again. Here is an idea I came up with to keep the game going further: Have two memory cards. One being your main memory card, the other being just for MapMaker saves. Have your friends do something along the same lines. Every once in a while, you and your friends can give each other some maps for everyone to try out. Oh, the possibilities are endless.

Overall:
Story: 9
Music: 10
Sound: 10
Gameplay: 10
Replayability: 9
Average – 9.6
Rounded - 10

Buy/Rent
Yeah, this game is worth the $50. Actually, this game should have cost a whole lot more. I mean, you can think of those stupid commercials: “Controller- $30. System- $150. TimeSplitters2- Priceless.” If you are a hardcore FPS player, you probably already have this game, and have it beat, but that brings me to question why you read this…If you are looking for a quality FPS, TimeSplitters2 is for you. If you loved GoldenEye, TimeSplitters2 is for you. If you just happen to be a fan of FPS, add TimeSplitters2 to your collection. So, why haven’t you bought this game yet? Buy, right now. Unless you are short a few dollars, in which case you should bum some money of a friend. Buy this game NOW! That is right, I am telling you to buy this game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/19/02, Updated 10/19/02