Review by velmarg

"The best multi-player FPS available on a console"

Back when the first Timesplitters was released, it got a lot of props for its awesome multiplayer, and alot of negative buzz for its lacking single player. The good outweighed the bad, however, and soon it was up there with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark as one of the best multiplayer FPSs around. Now Timesplitters 2 is out, and it blows the first one out of the water.

Timesplitters 2 won't win any awards for its graphics, but they get the job done. The character models
are cartoonish, and some of the texturing is a little bland. Weapon effects are pretty good for the most part.
The weapons themselves look pretty good as well. All in all, decent.

Sound's a bit of a mixed bag. Weapon sounds are alright; nothing like say, Medal of Honor, but there's nothing
particularly BAD about them. Some of the music tracks, you'll enjoy. Some, you'll find not so enjoyable. Voice acting is in short supply, but what's there is alright. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible.

Control: 8/10

It's completely customizable, but none of the next-gen console controllers can hold a candle to the N64 controller or the mouse and keyboard when it comes to FPS control. Sniping a running target is almost impossible. Sniping a still target is almost as hard. Some say it makes it more realistic. Perhaps. It also makes it ten times as frustrating when you waste all of your
sniper rifle ammo on a camera.. and you still haven't blown it up. If you can handle the controller itself, you'll have no problem.

Gameplay (Single Player): 7/10

Actually a little better than I was expecting. The single player is far more enjoyable than the single player of the previous game. In story mode, there's some actual ''story'' behind each mission now. You have different objectives, too. No more grabbing some item and bringing it back to the beginning. The main objective of each mission is to locate the time crystals. There's really no story to ruin, so I'll just give explain it. 2 people are running around at the beginning, killing some Timesplitters (which look a little more beefy than they did in Timesplitters 1). The Timesplitters grab some crystals and run into a time warp, and you have to go all over time, filling the shoes of some random individual, to retrieve them. You'll have alot of other objectives to complete as well, but I was a little perplexed about some. I mean, the point is to get the time crystals.. So why am I gonna fail a mission if Big Tony's brother gets away? These unimportant objectives actually better the game overall, since if they weren't there, single player would be much like it was in the first game. There are two other modes besides the story portion; Arcade League and Challenge. The Arcade League mode is basically a bunch of missions put together that you have to get through to unlock everything in Arcade Custom (the main multiplayer mode). Most of them are fun, while some can get tedious. Challenge mode is much like the challenge mode from the previous game. It has you doing some pretty silly stuff, from breaking glass to killing ducks. And it's all very, very fun.

Not excellent, but it's an improvement over the first.

Gameplay (Multiplayer): 10/10

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. The reason Timesplitters 2 is being compared to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Halo. Its multiplayer is unmatched. There are tons of multiplayer modes, from standard deathmatch and capture to flag, to this one where monkeys assist the player in last place and, my personal favorite, ''Assault'', which has one team attacking another team's base. It has a very war-like feeling to it. Even with a bunch of bots, you really feel like you're in the thick of it, fighting alongside all these weird looking people/creatures, killing other weird looking people/creatures, and blowing up their drone guns and fuel barrels. It rocks. On top of arcade mode, there's co-op single player, which actually quite enjoyable. Not as good as the Halo co-op, but it's worth mentioning. It's the pinnacle of console FPS multiplayer. I'd give it an 11/10 if I could.

Replay: 10/10

With a multiplayer like this, replay is virtually endless.

10/10? It gets all these 7's and 8's, and he gives it a 10/10? You're damn right, I do. Multiplayer is almost flawless. They could've released the game with Arcade Custom alone (and all the features unlocked, of course), and it would've been worth the $50. If you've got at least 1 other person you can play with, this is a must buy. It's one of the best game's available for whatever system you own, be it Gamecube, PS2, or Xbox. If you don't have anyone to play multiplayer with all the time, rent
this when someone's around to play with you. If you'll NEVER have someone to play multiplayer with, I'd still suggest renting it and checking it out on your own. It's an experience no FPS multiplayer fan should miss out on.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/19/02, Updated 10/19/02