"Step Aside Mr. Bond"

Yes, that's right. Back in the day, when we had just barely owned our Nintendo 64's, we came across a game called Goldeneye. It was a transfer from movie to videogame, an art that has proven very dangerous and pointless for almost all the attempts. But that game exploded into being arguably the best first person shooter of all time. Now, realizing the awaiting public wanted an encore, the team behind Goldeneye is back to bring you Timesplitters 2.

Story 10/10-
I really didn't get a sense of feel for the story until a little while in, but that's just because I never played the first Timesplitters. Although a little shaky, in my opinion, at the start, the plot quickly picks up from there. The Time Crystals have been stolen by some Alien species, who use the Crystals to travel back in time and wreck havoc on the past. The main character most go through 10 different times to get the crystals back. The ''mini stories'' of Srgt. Cortez is moved along with a CGI movie at the beginning of each level.

Gameplay 10/10-
Unfortunately, no 11's are allowed. This game goes above and beyond the call of duty, bringing the arcade style fun with a comfort of a console. If you played Goldeneye, you know what I'm talking about. Timesplitters 2 is just fun to play. Most shooters get tiring because you mostly shoot or blow up things over and over. This game offers little twists like operating surveillance cameras, gun turrets, magnet cranes, and others. The vast array of guns, all depending on the time period, keeps the game fresh and new with different kinds of moving and shooting required for each. The levels, needless to say, also change with each time period. They range from the Wild West and Notre Dame to The Robot Factory and Siberia. Timesplitters 2 also supports a 2 player story mode option for co-op gun slingin' fun. Multiplayer is another story, yet still a great one. Over 60, and I've heard 100, playable characters are there for you to choose from, some of which you must unlock, through the game's challenge mode. On top of that, levels are different from story mode ones. The designers didn't just change the Story levels, make them smaller, and say ''There ya go,'' they made completely new ones! There are also many different gameplay modes, including classic deathmatch, team deathmatch, and capture the bag, to unique modes like virus, flame tag, and vampire. All this and more await you in the vast universe of Timesplitters 2. And wait, there's more? Yes... Are you tired of those maps that are there? Did you and your friends play every map 500 times already? Then make your own map with the Mapmaker mode. You can choose from 4 different themes; Alien, Industrial, Victorian, and Virtual. What's more? You can set lighting and colors of the different rooms. You can place items, weapons, enemies, and all sorts of other things. I think that's enough, but trust me, there's much, much more to see and do in this game...

Graphics 10/10-
Although cartoony, Timesplitters 2's graphics are impeccable. Using the advantage of animated characters, facial expressions and lip movement to dialogue is OUTSTANDING. Levels are beautiful, each one consisting of detailed walls, floors, ceilings, and extras. Backgrounds are magnificent, although you probably won't pay much attention to it, because you'll be focused on the gameplay.

Music 10/10-
WOW, this music is AWESOME. Never have I seen (or heard) of a shooter with such great music. The developers really wanted this game to be perfect. Each level has it's own tune, most of which make your heart pound while the action is taking place.

Sound 10/10-
Man, the developers REALLY, wanted a perfect game. The sound is great, each gun having a realistic and clear sound. Enemies have all their sounds, with moans from zombies, grunts from golems, painful groans of humans, and the ''oo-ooh, ahh-ahh'' of the demonic, exploding-coconut- throwing monkeys.

Control-
Controls are completely customizable, so there is no way to rate them, unless you give them a 10/10.

Difficulty-
Timesplitters 2 has three difficulty settings, Easy, Normal, and Hard. The game is designed to be played on Normal mode at first, but I find that the second to last level (the Robot Factory) is nearly impossible without switching to easy. It's your call.

If You Liked This Game:
Goldeneye (N64)
Perfect Dark (N64)
Quake (Any, PC and various consoles)

Overall 10/10-
This game is pure genius, and it will stay in my collection till the end of my days...

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/21/02, Updated 10/21/02