Review by FinalOgre

"I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long, long time..."

First off, I'll just say that I'm not much of an FPS fan. The only FPS I've ever really gotten into was good 'ol Goldeneye, so many years ago... So when I heard that not only was this game made by the people responsible for Goldeneye, but it also played and felt like it, I was excited. When I finally got my hands on a copy of this game, I was not disappointed in any respect.

Starting with the story... Well, it mostly feels like it's just there to give the game a reason to have a modern level, a western level, a futuristic one, etc... Which is fine by me. Not only does this give the game some nice diversity in scenery, but each time period also has it's own selection of weapons true to that era. The story mode also has the three standard difficulty levels: Easy, Normal, and Hard. The harder the difficulty, the more objectives you are given to complete, and more areas of each level are opened up.

Also for a single player are a number of Challenges and such; essentially set scenarios with goals that you try to complete and are graded (with either a Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum award) on how well you do. If you do well, you unlock extra levels, characters, and cheats that you can use in single and multiplayer matches.

Which leads us into the multiplayer offering, which most agree is the best part about TimeSplitters 2. On top of the story mode co-op play (very fun), you have the standard multiplayer deathmatches, team deathmatches, capture the bag, etc, all with bucketloads of options that you can set for each match. There are also more than 120 characters and creatures that you can play as in these modes, most needing to be unlocked through various means. Each character and creature has a rating in three stats: Accuracy, Agility, and Stamina. You can also turn this off in the options menu so that all characters are equal.

And let's not forget one of the best offerings in TimeSplitters 2... The mapmaker. This little tool allows you to create your own maps that you can use in single and multiplayer matches. It has a number of different tile sets (Victorian, Industrial, etc.), and you can have up to a seven-story map. You can also add NPCs, event triggers, and more. This feature alone makes the replay value of the game immeasurable.

Finally, you may be wondering what stops me from giving this game a perfect 10. Well, simply put, because it's not perfect. While there aren't any glaring faults, there are some things that could be better. More levels in the story mode, for example. While ten different levels are adequate, more would have been welcome. (I would have really liked to see a medieval level...) Also, while the selection of weapons is good, again, more would have been better. None of this really detracts from the game, though, so this is just minor nitpicking.

All in all, I'm loving TimeSplitters 2, and as I said in the one-line synopsis, I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long, long time...

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/22/02, Updated 10/22/02