Review by EdwardT1

"Do you have a need for speed?"

Introduction:
This game is very fun but I must admit it can be a bit frustrating at times. With addicting game play and several different modes it will keep you hooked for quite awhile. However no game is perfect but the positives of this game out weigh the negatives making this a fairly solid title.

The opening cut-scene is done beautifully. The first time I saw it I thought it was a real video. The Menus are a little plain, but the in-game graphics are very nice. With many different views from the car such as the front view which gives you that feel of being on the edge. The only problem I have in this category is that in many points the frame rate drops but really does not effect the game play much because they aren't that frequent.All and all the graphics are done well.

There are three different modes in which to fill your need for speed. Competition mode where you race 32 different races pitting some of the world’s fastest and sleekest cars against each other. Then there is Be the Cop mode, which is my favorite mode. It Great to be on the side with the upper hand being able to call on backup and such. The last is the world cup mode. In this you also go 32 races trying to get the most gold medals. In order to qualify for the next round you must get at least bronze. The cops being a little bit to aggressive and making you spin out when you are about to win a race makes it a little less enjoyable but nonetheless this game is still very fun.

Controls: 9/10
Like most games it works well with the GameCube controller. The big A button works well as an acceleration button. All of the buttons are well placed and the Camera stick works well for viewing the cars in different directions. The B button also works well As it is used for both the brakes and reverse. The controls play a major part in the fun factor of a game. I commend EA for making great controls for this game.

I would recommend renting this first then make you decision because I was expecting a little more out of this game. Either way this game should bring you much enjoyment and show you how racing should be done. The only real problem I have is the multi-player it's only 2 players. The split screen works nicely though. That is my review I hope it informed you and helped you make a decision on weather or not to buy this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/02, Updated 11/19/02