Review by crassattack

"Is this game really as good as people say? Well....."

The year was 2004, I was 15. I was at my local game store looking for a new gamecube game. I had recently played skies of arcadia and asked the store employee if he had any suggestions. He said "dude have you played tales of symphonia?" I responded "no..should I?" he then said "it's easily the best game on gamecube you have to get it man" I was of course skeptical, I had heard of the game in nintendo power but never really gave it anymore thought after the article. So anyways I bought the game and took it home...

Within 1 hour I was hooked, yes 1 hour. Tales of symphonia was the first game that ever really struck a chord with me. The amount of polish and effort that went into this game is incredible. Everything from the storyline to the battle system is perfect. The story starts out rather generically but after about 10 hours really picks up and get very interesting. The pacing is great. I wont go into details for anyone who's reading this who hasn't played the game because that would be a crime in my eyes. But the story follows a young man named Lloyd and his friends who are trying to save the world from destruction. Generic yes I know, but take my word for it it gets better. The plot twists in this game will keep you guessing as to what will happen.

The battle system is also quite good. No turn based random battles in this game! Instead we have a real time, skill based battle system. Button mashing may work in the easy difficulty setting but on hard and mania mode you better be quite good at this game because it can be brutally difficult. As you level up and use certain skills you will gain new attacks for your party that you can chain together with other attacks to create huge combos. There is a lot of depth and customization involved here and you won't be disappointed. It's a breath of fresh air to someone used to turn based RPGs. Easy to pickup hard to master.

The best thing about ToS I think has to be the replay value. I myself have beaten this game at least 10 times (I've lost count). After you finish the game you can start a new file with added features like 10x exp points, extra grade and lots of other cool stuff that will entice you to play the game all over again. Honestly the only way to see and do everything in ToS is to play through it at least 3 times, and trust me you will want to. There are secret bosses, multiple endings, and loads of sidequests and costume changes. All in all this game is packed to the brim with content.

Tales of symphonia is my favorite game ever, everything about this game melds together perfectly. If this review convinces even one person to buy this game I will be happy. Everyone who loves RPGs or even just adventure games NEEDS to play this game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/22/10

Game Release: Tales of Symphonia (Player's Choice) (US, 12/31/05)