Review by MegaPerfectCell

"This isn't your typical RPG..."

Our prayers for a good Rpg on the Gamecube has been answered, this game itself is a blessing. This being the first Namco RPG I've ever played, I am very impressed with it. What they have compiled for us here is an 80+ hour quest over 2 discs, a compelling story, and quite possibly the most fun in ANY battle system in RPGs.

Graphics:
Not exactly the best, but truthfully they don't have to be, it's an anime style game, the animation is fluid, the character design is great. The main character Lloyd has a red suit that reminds me of Vash the Stampede from Trigun...but hey, that's cool too. The cutscenes are anime style (much like Xenogears). Not the best, not the worst. But still good for what it needs to be.
If you hate anime, you will hate this.
If you love anime, you will love this. ^_^

Sound:
Voice acting can go one of two ways, Resident Evil for PS1 (REALLY, Really bad.) or like MGS2 and Final Fantasy X (superb). I'd compare this to neither, I'd compare the voice acting to that of Disgaea Hour of Darkness. It's comical, sometimes humorous, and decent overall! The soundtrack is pretty good, I like the theme of the Desians personally. Sure enough a Soundtrack is available. It's like 4 discs, crazy. So, Good, funny voices. Catchy, nice soundtrack.

Gameplay:
WHOA BABY! This is the absolute best part about the game, and it's also, the most important. I've never had so much fun running into battles, you can avoid the battles if you wish (excluding bosses of course, however come may come for you). The "random encounter"" works nearly identical to Chrono Cross. (you see the enemy while running, run into it, or it runs into you, go to battle mode, kick ass, proceed). Yeah, like that. The battle system works like a fighting game almost, All party members are attacking the enemy party in Real time, no turn-based combat here. ALL real-time. It's easy to master, and fun to dominate your opponents! You learn new techs and skills along the way, good stuff!!!

Closing Statements:

I'll admit, I was very skeptical about buying this game, I didn't see Square-Enix on the label anywhere, but I had the chance to try it out, and I played one battle, and I was instantly hooked. You seriously can't go wrong with an 80+ hour quest, the story is great, the game is fun, the script is humorous. What are you waiting for? Give it a shot. This is a great game. Don't turn it away because of the NAMCO label like I did at first. Trust me, it's good.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/19/04