Review by buggyman

"Not as good as I expected"

I rented this game from Blockbuster for a week, and have been less than satisfied with it. The game is based completely around World War 2, with locations and weapons true to that time period. You are Jimmy Patterson, a WW2 recruit, alough you never see him. That's basically the story.

The graphics in this game are very sub-par for a Gamecube game. The people might look OK from far away, but up close they are horribly detailed. The head is a square. That was acceptable on SNES and first-gen N64 games. Not gamecube. Another big complaint is the doors. All of them look totally blended in with their surroundings, so you can't tell which ones open and which don't. This is a major pain. Weapons look OK, but there are about 3 reloading sequences between all the guns. One for pistols, one for machine guns, and one for rifles. Here is the biggest complaint: The framerate. I don't know what it is, but it is horrific. Even when you are just walking, with NOTHING ELSE going on, there is significant slowdown in some missions. Not good..

Music/Sound: 8/10
The SFX for the most part sound very good, except for a couple of guns, which don't sound like they should. Music fits the game well, alough I found that sometimes it would abruptly cut on and off within certian areas. Congrats to EA in the sound department.

The gameplay I just feel is weak. There are several levels, but each level has between 2 and 5 missions. This can get tedious. The missions range from moderate to extremely long. There are no special unlocks when you complete something. A bronze medal is given for finishing the mission, a silver for getting rid of 95% of enemies, and a gold for finishing with 75% health plus all of the above. Multiplayer, specially added for GC, is weak and shallow and isn't enough to keep you coming back. There are no bots,and the levels are just absolutely riddled with health packs, so the game won't end soon Controls are odd and I didn't like any of them, but there is a custom one as well.

Bottom Line: 5/10
If youre looking for a good FPS, this isn't the one to get. Try 007: Nightfire or TimeSplitters2, both of these are great FPS and have awesome multiplayers, and are easily better than this. Worth a rent, but nothing more.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/03, Updated 02/11/03