Review by catfishman

"Pointless bloodshed has never been this much fun!"

Blood Omen 2 is a very nice game. Great sound, decent game play, a good story line, and plenty of blood. And by plenty of blood I mean more freakin' blood than Mortal Kombat!

The sound in this game is near perfection! The screams of the people Kain (the vampire you play as) slaughters sound so real, if you turn the sound on loud enough, your neighbors will call the cops! The background music is fitting in each area, but its not good enough to really enjoy.

There are many different enemies in the game. Gangsters, royal guards, and demons almost twice the size of Kain are only a few of the threats to Kain's life, and blood supply! And of course they all have an individual look and battle strategy.

Graphics are ok. They suffer the same fate of games that are on multiple systems, but the gore looks real enough, and it's filled with detailed monsters, amazing spells and magic artifacts, and many interesting medieval weapons. The levels are filled with hidden health and weapon upgrades, and are detailed down to all the little rats and cats who crawl the streets.

When i was telling my friends about this game, they all agreed that playing as a vampire fighting humans sounded like a very easy game. They were all wrong. just touching water will kill Kain. Still not challenging enough? In the later levels, one slash of a sword will nearly kill Kain. I died many times while fighting a large group of Royal Guards.

Now, on to my favorite part of this game: special moves! From the beginning Kain can sneak up on unsuspecting victims on the fog and do tons of horrible acts to them, depending on his weapon. My favorites are when he jabs his arm straight through them, tearing their heart right out of their body; and when he disembowels te victim with a sword. He also gets a new ability after every vampire he kills.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this game is all about running through random towns and killing people, because it's not! Blood Omen 2 is a long game with long levels where you must drink blood to survive. Then after you fight some swordsmen, you'll be in a tower pulling switches to get to the next area. This is a very deep game, even with very little replay value.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/23/04