Review by rond556

"Coolest game on the Gamecube.....HENSHIN-A-GO-GO, BABY!"

Capcom has been on a sucking spree lately. Now, Hideki Kamiya, director of Devil May Cry and Steel Battalion and one of the few Capcom CO's I have respect for, comes out from his hiding hole and drops this most extremely innovative and beautiful game on our laps. Viewtiful Joe has every step to be the next Megaman.....and I bet Capcom will milk it for everything its worth as well! Oh well, we might as well enjoy this while it lasts. This is the second release in Capcom's big 5 for the Gamecube (4 now that Dead Phoenix isn't coming) and it is the coolest so far. (Come on PN03 sucks)

The storyline is some what goofy. You play as your average Joe....GET IT!!!! You write comics, and one day you take your girl to a movie theater and she gets kidnapped by the villain in the movie and Joe gets dragged into the movie to chase her. Yeah, its goofy but it is very original.

Graphically, this game displays great use of cel-shading technique. The game is just so perfectly animated, you feel like you are playing in an actual comic. And the special effects are so perfectly animated. Sound and music all fit the game perfectly.

Gameplay wise, this is a full beat 'em up. It is 2D gameplay in a 3D world (think NiGHTS on the Saturn) and you can fight many enemies at once pulling of non-stop combos. Joe also has a few other moves at his dispense like drop kicks and stuff, but that is just where the gameplay begins. Joe also has the ability to control the movie he is in. He can slow down the movie so it is REALLY slow and he can pull off some powerful ass hits on his opponents, can dodge bullets, and even punch missiles back at his assailants. He can also speed up the movie allowing super fast moves. He can also zoom in and out allowing close up action and more intense fighting as well as unlocking things that were unlockable in the normal screen. Needless to say, this game shows that that 2D gaming can still be innovative in this 3D infested world we are living in.

Yes, Viewtiful Joe is my favorite game on the Gamecube right now, even more so than Soul Calibur 2 and Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I suggest you give this awesome game a go. My only complaint (and it seems most people's) is the saving system is bad because you sometimes need to fight four challenging bosses before you get the chance to save. Viewtiful Joe is by far the most innovative game on the Gamecube this year and it is an amazing break in Capcom's losing streak......yup, just a quick review for this one.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/28/03