Review by JB2K3RETURNS

"Lights, Camera, Viewtiful!"

Capcom has been in a bit of a slump lately with mediocre releases. When I first heard of the Capcom 5 coming to GameCube I was a bit optimistic about Viewtiful Joe. To be honest it thought it was some weird looking Power Ranger. As time went on it became more interesting as I looked more into it. When I got the Demo was released I played it and was dazzled. The Gameplay blew me away. I then had no choice but to reserve my copy. When I finally got it I prayed I didnt over-hype this in my head. Sure enough, the demo seemed obsolete after this.

GRAPHICS

Cel Shading and Comic book action games were made together. It does make the game look like your in a comic and in a B rated action movie. There are some effects that make backgrounds blurry but rest assure that it actually works in sense of speed and agility. All in all, it pretty beautiful, uh, i mean viewtiful.

SOUND/MUSIC

Action packed and thrilling. Viewtiful Joe's soundtrack makes the game a much more pleasant experience. And the sound effects are excellent. Every attack, dodge, and explosion is altered by your super powers such as slow down. And the dialogue, while corny at times, is funny and entertaining.

GAME PLAY

Here we go! Where the game REALLY shines. Its old school marble molded into Next-Gen superiority. You run, jump, punch, kick, dodge, and counter. Starts simple enough, but then the Viewtiful super powers work. You can slow down time and counter your foes with style. The Slow Down works great with bullets and rockets too. It easily puts Enter The Matrix to shame. With features like this, it makes you wonder if someone was judging you. Well, they are. The game scores you for each session on Style and grace. So if you really want to win, you better do it gracefully.

Rent or Buy?

You'll love it promise you that. Whether you rent or buy is your choice. But, if push comes to shove, buy it.

OVERALL

Impressive, addictive, stylish, challenging, and most importantly...FUN. This is the surprise hit of the year. If your looking for some old school fun with a twist this is for you. If you want an action game with better bullet effects then the matrix, this is for you. If you want a great game, this is for you. As for me, Im giving it a 10 out of 10! HENSHIN-A-GO-GO-BABY!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/08/03