Review by Roochfan20

"Zoids or Rock 'em Sock 'em robots?"

Features: 8/10

Pretty good if you ask me, the modes are there and everything. The problem is that there's no difficulty level settings. There's no Easy level settings for beginners and/or newbies.

Wow, better than I had expected it. The texture is so smooth. It feels like you're actually piloting the Zoid. The Zoid shadow, however, I think needs to be worked on because it's a 2D shadow and not 3D.

Sounds: 7/10

Sounds are only average the roar of the Zoid is pretty good and you can hear the sound of the Zoid running the only problem is that the timing's off by a few ticks. The weapons are pretty good and the music's pretty good too. The character sounds, on the other hand, are pretty bad. The voices of some of the characters are different from the anime and some of the dialogs are inaccurate.

The only pro about the Gameplay is that the Zoids' statistics are pretty realistic and that's it. Other than that, the AI's cheap like crazy. They don't even give you a chance of fighting back. This is difficulty level maximum if you tell me and I don't I can find a way to tone it down. If you have an ally, sometimes it even attack you by accident and other times, it just runs away from the action. Another mistake made by Atari.

It's sort of a story but all are just missions of destroy all the enemies. Sometimes you'll pack an ally of 2 but that's nothing compared to 5-6 guys ganging up on you.

Dialogue: 4/10

The names and the translation is just horrible. Jimmy is actually named Jamie in the anime and Atak Cat is actually known as a Helcat. Ballad is known as Brad in the anime, Leon and Leena's last name is Toros in the anime and not Tros. Terrible mistakes made by Atari. Some speeches are very inaccurate from the anime. All in all, Atari needs a new translator if they want to make games like this. Someone who's fluent in both Japanese and English.

Rent or Buy?

I don't really know. If you're a Zoids fan, go ahead but, proceed with extreme caution. If you're not, I urge you to stay away from this game at best rent it because worst case scenario is that you slam the controller and it ceases to function because of it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/04