Review by quezacotl68

"One of the most Epic games has made its return."

I remember when this game first came out for the N64. I played it continually. Now, that it’s back for the GCN I’m happier. Even though the times have changed, nothing can ever beat Zelda in my opinion.

Graphics:
9/10

Even with today’s pure 3D cgi’s that make everyone look human. Zelda has that classic early cgi form that is simple, yet complex at the same time. The detail is superb for the backgrounds and enemies are nicely done. The items stand out more when you see them on the ground. The weapons, shields, and tunics seem to have lost the blurriness that they had back in 98. Even the collar on the tunics can be seen much more easily than before.

Sound:
10/10

When I first heard the music, I was stunned by how intricate it was. The music fits every area and when you fully immerse yourself into the game, the music pulls at something inside you. The yells Link makes when he attacks are visible and don’t take away from the music. It’s also fun to hear him yell in fear as he falls from a high distance. If he falls and slams into a wall, building, etc. You hear a realistic thud made.

Game play:
10/10

With every Zelda game, you see almost the same basic plot. Defeat the main boss who is usually the same one in each game and rescue the princess. However, as you trek through the game, you see that there is more to it than that. You meet quite a few people that sometimes need your help. You also interact with four races in the game, much more than any of the others. Apart from the main story, there are also a few side quests that help you reap powerful items that will help you in the game. There is also a handful of other games that will keep your interest in the game for a long time. Of course, if you don’t like the mini-games in OoT, there’s always the ever popular hitting the chickens with your sword. Everyone I know loves doing that.

Controls:
9/10

The controls for the c stick are a tad difficult to get use to at first, but after using them for a while, it becomes as easy as hitting A. The rest of the controller buttons work just like they did on the N64 with a few changes. Like X, Y, and Z are short cuts for the left, right, and down c controls. Also, the L trigger is the lock on instead of Z. The R trigger works the same as before and the D pad does nothing. But, as I said at first, they become very simple after playing for a while.

Replay Value:
10/10

No matter how many times you’ve may have beaten OoT, it just keeps pulling you back to play it and collect the items you may have missed each time through. I haven’t gotten around to Master Quest yet, but I know that it’ll be just as great, if not better than OoT. I recommend to anyone that is debating about getting Wind Walker because of how it looks, to stop caring about the cel shading and preorder it. That way if you decide that you don’t want it after a while, you can just cancel your order, but keep this wonderful epic that has kept video game players, young and old, glued to their tv screens for days on end.

This game gets a perfect 10/10 from me.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/03, Updated 02/11/03