Review by snarfoogle

"A timeless masterpiece, no pun intended, but not perfect."

Gameplay

What do you expect, it’s Zelda! This game is simply FUN while you play it. You’ll want to just sit there in front of your couch until you’ve beaten both modes. However, it’s not perfect. There are some really bad controller issues here. L Targeting is a lot harder than Z Targeting, as the L button can be pushed in partially, which doesn’t activated targeting. Also, I never liked the C-stick anyway, and it’s hard to remember X, Y, and Z for C left, down and right. You’re going to use up on the C-stick, so it’s better to use the C-stick, which is a lot less easy to use than C buttons. You’ll get used to it eventually though, and nothing can stop good old Zelda gaming from getting a 10.

Graphics

I’m not going to lie to you here. These aren’t Gamecube quality graphics. The graphics have not been improved at all for the Gamecube, and it shows. However, some of it is amazing. The dungeons are well done, each one more engrossing than the last. Some dungeons are very creepy, and some are very pretty. It’s not eye candy, but it’ll do.

7.5

Music and Sound Effects

Koji Kondo at his best. While some of the classic Zelda tunage is missing, you’ll still want to get the soundtrack to this game. There are some catchy tunes which will leave you humming them for a while afterward.

The sound effects are really nice. Even though there are no spoken voices for talking characters, each one makes a different sound when you talk to them. Link’s shouts are very well done, good enough that they were added to the Link to the Past remake for Gameboy Advance. They don’t get in the way of playing... except for one. Navi the fairy. If you’ve ever so much as been to the Ocarina of Time board, you’ll see at least 10 topics ranting about “HEY! LOOOK! LISSEN!”
That alone is able to bring this category down to a 9. Don’t get me wrong, the rest of it is great.

Story

Surprisingly good. The basic Zelda storyline, revamped, but sadly, not as good, in my opinion, as A Link To The Past. There are a number of small unexpected plot twists, and two or three big ones that will leave you reeling. I won’t spoil it for you, though.

Replay Value

Take a timeless classic that you will want to play time and time again. Now add a second quest with revamped dungeons. I think you’ll know what score this is going to get.

Buy or Rent?

Okay. Now, whether to buy, rent, illegally download a rom, or not even bother. As made obvious from the rest of the review, BUY BUY BUY! It’s only 5 DOLLARS plus a preorder for The Wind Waker, which is sure to be just as good as this game. This will only be available for a limited time, so get it now before it’s $110 on eBay.

BUY