Review by Waspinator9063

"Nintendo makes another masterpiece...again!"

Wow.

That's all I can say about The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (OoT), for the Nintendo Gamecube (GC). Having been an anti-Nintendo fan for my whole life, I bought this game skeptically for my Nintendo 64 a few years ago. That started a binge of Nintendo and Zelda games that lasts until this day. And this game is no exception to my addiction. The GC edition of OoT finds ways to improve over the old 64 version. Now lets see how...

Improvements over Previous Version (Replaces Innovation from a normal review, since this IS a port--technically): 10/10+. Most of the time, we gamers are lucky when a port will add a secret character, rare item, improved graphics, or even if the port itself has all of the features of the original. In this case, however, Nintendo has decided to give the people what they want. They've done a good job of it too. Not only are there improved graphics over the N64 version, OoT for GC has a brand new feature, if you could call it that. What did they add that was so earth-shaking? They gave us a new game!!! That's right! Introducing: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest Edition. The puzzles are harder. There are tougher enemies, dungeons are more complicated. You'll have to rack your brain to survive even the Deku Tree most likely. I know I did! Add this feature alone to the game, and its a 10/10 for Improvements. Add enhanced resolution... and the fact its on GC, so you don't have to dig up the old N64 everytime you want to play OoT, this should be something like a 14/10. But I'll be honest, 10/10.

Graphics: 10+/10 or 3/10. Now, before you either close this review, or send me hate mail, allow me to clarify. By the standards of 1998, or 1999 for that matter... or even anything before the birth of the PS2, this game's graphics ruled. By today's standards, its lackluster. The graphics rule still, I think. Its realistic, a little liney, but hey! It came out in 1998! Cut it some slack. I'll give it a 10/10 for Graphics, because this is a port.

Gameplay: 10+/10. The game adapts to a newfangled Gamecube controller just fine. It will be a little tough for veterans of the N64 version at first. It becomes second nature quickly though. All of the buttons sync with the game well, and L Targeting isn't half as bad as people make it out to be. I rather like it. Too bad Navi isn't better now, shes' the same old stupid fairy.

Storyline: 8/10. This isn't an RPG in the classic sense, but it is nonetheless, so it receives this rating. I give OoT an 8/10 because the storyline has plot twists, action, major and minor characters, and still develops the enemy into someone you really want to hate. (Or in my case, one you really DO hate.) But, the lack of interaction with the storyline, despite its good features, gives it a still-good 8/10. w00t for Link.

Replayability: 10/10. Lets be honest. I doubt 99/9% of the people who buy this game will find all of the stuff. And of the other .1%, I doubt half of them found it all on their first playthrough. I never found all of the hidden Skulltula tokens, myself. The point? There's plenty to do on your first, second, third... or even eighty-seventh playthrough.

Rent or Buy? Buy. Definitely. The problem is, to buy this gem of a game, you must preorder The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. There's a limited stock of preorders, and an even more limited amount of OoT's for the GC. Chances are, you'll have a hard time getting ahold of this game. So I'd get started trying to find it now.

Final Score: 10/10 Come on, you knew it was coming, you saw it on the Review Page. This game gets my two thumbs up, and all the other opposable digits I have that I can raise into a vertical position. Ocarina of Time is a gem, and quite possibly the best Zelda game, if not Video Game made to date. Nintendo proves why it's still alive and kicking in the console wars yet again. We can only hope that The Wind Waker can top this masterpiece of a game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/15/03, Updated 02/15/03