Review by bleigh05

"Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Need I Say More"

Of all the Nintendo franchises, this is the one I love the most. Link, Zelda, Gannon, the Triforce, Hyrule, etc. This is, in my opinion, the best franchise Nintendo has. Why? Well, because it is almost a combination of a few of their other franchises, in a way not literally. You have the exploration that's also in the Metroid games. You have to traverse through various dungeons, kinda like how Mario moves thru each level. But, in a way, it's the mythology of the Zelda games that make them so good. A young kid rising up to defeat a grand evil who usually kidnaps or threatens harm to the princess and tries to steal the ultimate force in the world. In the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, that is basically what happens.

And despite the fact that the game was originally released for the Nintendo 64 console, it is getting remarkable reviews b/c it is still one of the best games ever released. It is the best Zelda game released, or tied with the Link to the Past, depending on the person. Plus, it is one of only 3 other titles to get a perfect 40/40 from the Japanese magazine, Famitsu (the others being Soul Caliber for DreamCast and Vagrant Story for PlayStation; plus the new Zelda, Wind Waker, possibly received a 40/40 too!). So, how can you go wrong with Ocarina of Time. Or for that matter, how can it get better. How about re-releasing it for the GameCube for FREE with a preorder of Wind Waker. Need I say more. Also, I barely played any of Ocarina of Time when it was on the 64, so as I'm playing it now on the Cube, it will be the first time I encounter everything.

Graphics - About the only bad thing about OoT. The graphics are straight out of the 64 version, but with a higher resolution. Now it would have been awesome had Nintendo put some work into making the graphics Cube quality, but considering that they gave this away for free with a WW preorder, I don't think anyone would complain. Besides, the graphics are still magnificient. For being 5 years old, OoT is still a beautiful game to look at. 8/10 only for out-dated graphics.

Sound - Again, same as graphics, but the sound is still great. There's a theme for every area that Link goes to, not to mention the nice touch of different songs played in Hyrule Field when it is day or night. Plus, great sound effects for the weapons, enemies, torches, etc, not to mention the classic Zelda chimes when discovering something in dungeons. 10/10.

Gameplay - Tremendous, and I'm running out of adjectives describing how great this game is. The controls are perfectly ported to the GameCube controller. The L button handles targeting now, and the Z along with the X and Y were given the C button duties, but the C-stick can be used for the C button tasks. So, ignoring the X, Y, & Z buttons, it is like you are playing the 64 version. This is classic Zelda gameplay translated into a 3D world. Exploration, powerful weapons, dungeons, cool bosses, world variety, and great gameplay to back it up. 10/10.

Replay Value - Well, any Zelda game is a treat to play thru, even if you've played thru them a bunch of times, but with the free disc, there is a 2ND Zelda game that players can try. Dubbed the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest, this is a remixed, and tougher, version of OoT that was never released in the States. Scheduled to be released with an add-on for the 64, Nintendo never released the DD64 so only Japan saw Master Quest. But now we have it too.

Overall - 9/10. Even five years old, this is one of the top games that has been released for the GameCube. And considering that it was FREE with a preorder of Wind Waker, how can you complain about out-dated graphics. A true classic.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/03, Updated 02/16/03