Review by tooietime2

"Released again and still the best of the best!"

Back in an era when video gamers were in awe at just about anything, a legendary, elite title of an already ever-popular series was released: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. A prophet amongst not only the Nintendo 64, not only the time period of video games, but the video game industry as a whole, Ocarina of Time grew immensely popular and set the standard that all future video games yearned to live up to. Five years after, it was convincing that some new game would somehow surpass this old title. However, with the Nintendo Wind Waker reserve promotion, Ocarina of Time, a free gift with the $15 deposit for the upcoming Gamecube game, proved itself once more as the king of the video game realm. An added bonus was Ura Zelda, renamed Ocarina of Time Master Quest for North America, which contained the same storyline as the original Ocarina, but had all the dungeons rearranged and somewhat increased in difficulty. I would have reserved the new game anyway, but this added bonus pushed me to do it earlier…like a week or so earlier.

Gameplay: The gameplay of Ocarina of Time (OoT) is extraordinary. Like I said earlier, this game isn’t a prophet among its peers for nothing. Well, first of all, you get to play the game technically as two characters with different abilities: Young Link and Adult Link. Your pockets have the same weapons and accessories throughout the game, but both versions of the Hylian hero have weapons and accessories that can only be used exclusively by either one. The same, puzzle-heavy aspect of the dungeons as in the old OoT are still in there, if you choose to play the original, and the puzzles are completely different if you want to mix it up and try your luck with Master Quest. Yes, that’s right, if I had failed to flat out say it before, this free game disc has two games on it. Anyway, the transfer of the N64 controls to the controls of the GCN was overall smooth. It can be hard to get used to the new controls at first, if you played the original (or even Majora’s Mask, for that matter), but you get the hang of it right off the bat. The only thing I found tricky to master throughout a large portion of the game was the ocarina and the C-stick. Though X, Y, and Z buttons also correspond to notes on the ocarina, one note can only be played using the C-stick, making it somewhat useless to switch to X, Y, and Z when playing the ocarina. I recovered from this minor confusion eventually, though. Bottom Line: 9/10

Story: This is the reason you should get this game if you didn’t have it before. This is seriously the strongest aspect of this near-perfect game. To sum up the storyline, you start off the game as a little boy in Kokiri Forest, commonly referred to as Link. Link gets his fairy Navi and together the Great Deku Tree, the guardian oak of the Kokiri children, informs them of their task. Link later meets up with Princess Zelda in her castle, and they devise a plan to overthrow the power of Ganondorf, the King of the Gerudo thieves. Link collects the Spiritual Stones from all across Hyrule and returns to the castle to find Princess Zelda being whisked away and pursued by Ganondorf. He receives the Ocarina of Time and travels seven years in the future, as an adult. In the future Link meets up with Rauru, one of the six sages that Link must awaken to help eliminate the threat of Ganondorf, who is now the king of Hyrule in the dismal future. Of course, there’s a lot more to the storyline, but that’s all I can really say without typing up a novel. Both OoT and OoTMQ follow the same storyline, so don’t expect a complete change in the games when you play both. If I weren’t sticking to the standards, I would have to give this aspect of the game a higher score than a perfect. Bottom Line: 10/10

Graphics and Sound: Considering when this game was originally made, the graphics in the game are great. Even by today’s standards the graphics are pretty good. There’s new games released presently that have worse graphics than even the original N64 version of the game. The graphics in the GCN version are apparently polished, but I don’t really have a detailed, comparing eye, so I couldn’t really tell the difference. The sound is spectacular and has catchy tunes, which frankly is a good thing, since you have to memorize quite a few for moving blocks or teleporting around Hyrule. All the music in the game is enjoyable and sets a mood for the game. Music is a very important aspect of this game. Bottom Line: 10/10

Play Time and Replayability: This is another of the real strong points of the game. The play time for the original OoT is noticeably long, and play time for OoTMQ is even longer. First time around for either one takes maybe about ten hours, but once you get the hang of it, of course, the play time is cut down each time around. As for replayability, I can honestly say that this is the single game that I discover new things about each time I replay it. It’s also the game I most enjoy every time I replay it. You’ll love this game for the long time that you play it and the many times you’ll want to try it again. Bottom Line: 10/10

Overall: You should really get this game. I mean, it’s free, as long as you plan on actually buying Wind Waker. I highly recommend it, and as of today, it is the best game ever made in all of video game history. Even if you’ve replayed it on your old N64 cartridge twenty times, you’ll still want this game for Master Quest, which has completely different puzzles in each dungeon. The transfer of this landmark game will to the Gamecube went extremely well. The game retains its classic story, music, graphics, gameplay, and all the great features. Again I say, get this game…what more could you want in return for a mere fifteen dollar reserve? Bottom Line: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/19/03, Updated 02/19/03