"Excellent!"

Intro
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was originally released on the Nintendo 64. It and its N64 counterpart, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask were the only two games that ever made me even consider getting an N64. But since I am not one to buy a system for less than---let's say ten or fifteen games just for example, I did not have the honor of playing the original version of Ocarina of Time. Since I was never interested enough in the N64 to want to play it, I never even played with a friend's machine. Well, I did, but it wasn't Ocarina of Time that I played and then only once. But in honor of the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Nintendo saw fit to rerelease Ocarina of Time. But when you buy this incredibly small Game Cube disk, you don't expect there to be more than one game in there. In fact there are two. The second game is simply a much harder version of Ocarina of Time (the Japanese gamers always seem to get the more challenging versions of most games). That version is called Master Quest. So in short you get both the original Ocarina of Time and Master Quest, which I presume is the Japanese version.
Gameplay 10-10. It's the traditional Zelda gameplay; find your sword, run around, kill monsters and grab items. Then stop by the village for some info and supplies, then it's off to the first dungeon to trash the boss. Rince, lather and repeat until game is over and you see the ending. However, you have a whole load of new items and abilities that weren't present in prior Zelda games. Link can now lock onto enemies. He also has a flip move that can not only cause damage but also allow him to avoid certain attacks.
Control 10-10. Those of you who are vets of the original Ocarina of Time will want to make sure they familiarize themselves with the new controls. This isn't the N64 after all. The Left Analog Stick, which I like to refer to as the D-Stick, moves Link or the cursor. The Right Analog Stick or C-Stick has two purposes. The Left, Down and Right directions make Link use whatever special items he has asigned to those buttons. The Up direction opens or closes the First Person View. X, Y and Z serve the same purposes as the Item button. Each one is the same as one of the three diirections I.E. Down, Left or Right. A opens chests and interacts with the environment. If pressed in conjunction with one of the directions on the D-Stick, it will perform that flip move I mentioned earlier. B uses the equipped sword. L uses the L Targeting feature (which was Z Targeting in the N64 version), and R raises Link's shield. We all know what the Start button does.
Audio 10-10. One thing the Zelda series has always been famous for is its soundtrack, particularly the famous Zelda theme. This is featured in Ocarina of Time as it has been in all but the Game Boy games (it wasn't really the same there), and in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, where it didn't appear at all. Only the very beginning part of it was ever heard.
The music in Ocarina of Time is some of the best I've heard in the Zelda series. There's even a funny little tune for when Child Link tries to get an item out of a chest that's almost as big as if not bigger than he is.
Sound Effect wise, OOT delivers. Link has a few voice clips, and you'll sometimes hear Navi, Link's fairy companion, say things like, ''Hey!'' or ''Hello?'' or ''Listen!'' You'll also hear clips of Ganon laughing, and once in a while you'll hear a girl sing, like when one of them teaches you a song for your Ocarina.
Story 10-10. The Kokiri are a race of forest people, each of whom has his or her own personal Fairy companion, all except Link. One day, Link awakens from a strange dream to find a fairy named Navi waiting for him. She tells him that the Great Deku tree has been cursed and that it wishes to speak with Link. Link breaks the curse, but by then it's too late. The tree dies, but not before telling you of the evil that threatens Hyrule. It also mentions that you are not a Kokiri, but a Hylian, which is why you never had a fairy like the rest of the Kokiri.
You'll play as Child Link first, then after completing the third dungeon or so you turn into Adult Link. Very cool.
Overall 10-10. It's definitely a must-have, whether on Game Cube or N64. I'll leave that up to you. And hey, at least you'll have something to keep you occupied until Wind Waker! True, Wind Waker is out now, but if you're like me you'll need a little extra money to afford it. Ocarina of Time should keep you busy until then.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/27/03, Updated 03/27/03