Review by Mighty Oracle

"A legendary game in the Zelda universe still lives on!"

We all know the Zelda series from Nintendo. Nintendo has released many Zelda games in the past, and most of them have been very good. However, back when we had to wait for the Wind Waker, we got a bonus disc, which contained Ocarina of Time that was originally known as Zelda 64. It also contained Master Quest, too, which was only released in Japan. The two games were contained in one disc. Master Quest makes the dungeons in the game harder. I'll detail more below.

Gameplay - 10/10

The gameplay is a masterpiece, and a true work of art. You can move up, down, left, or right. You also get a few types of swords in the game, and the sword fighting in the game is the best part, I think. Which sword types you can use depends on if you are Young Link or Adult Link. You can do a jump attack with a sword, swing in a three hit combo, and you can even do a Spinning Sword Attack which consumes magic! Basically, you can do all kinds of tricks with your swords in the game! The sword fighting in the game is what makes this game what it is today, at least to me. When you fight bosses with your swords and get in heated battles with the mini-bosses of the dungeons, the game gets really fun and interesting! The fight with Ganondorf was by far my favorite fight in the game with the sword. Now, onto another part of the gameplay. You can backflip, you can move sideways. You can also roll. You can jump over certain spots, too. You can also collect very neat weapons such as a Slingshot, a Bow, and even a Hammer! Using the weapons in the game was also fun, and also one of my favorite parts. I especially loved using the Fairy Bow and the Fairy Slingshot, it just gave me that feel of a hero. You can even use a shield in the game! There are also certain types of shields, just like there are certain types of swords. Using the Megaton Hammer was also a pretty fun part of the game, as I loved squashing enemies when I got frusterated in the game. :)

You can even get magic spells in this game, such as Din's Fire, which lets you melt webs and burn enemies to death! The magic spells are also pretty fun to use, and that's no lie. I love using them, especially Nayru's Love. You can even use Bombs, just like in the older Zelda games! You can use Bombchus, too, which are rat-shaped bombs that when you release one, it moves about the room and can even go onto the walls in the room! Eventually, the Bomchu will explode and if anything is in its path, it will be blown up! The dungeons of the game are also fun to play in, because there are so many enemies in there to beat, which means so much more to test your inventory on. Overall, the gameplay is very smooth and gives you freedom of movement, and I rate it a 10 out of 10 without a doubt.

Graphics - 9/10

There have been better graphics in a game before, but the graphics in this game are extraordinary. Sure, that's only because the Gamecube improved the graphics of the game some, but still, it is some of the best graphics you'll find on the Gamecube. The graphics are almost, if not, as good as the ones you find in Super Smash Bros. Melee, so that's pretty good! They are improved from the N64 version, I think it's safe to say. The dungeons are layed out the same and everything like they were in the N64 version, but the graphics are pretty neat, and, like I said, some of the best you'll see on the Gamecube. The graphics of the dungeons in the game were nice, too. The graphics are in 3-D, just to let you know. Like I said, there are better graphics in a game, but these are some pretty good graphics for the Gamecube, especially considering some of the other games brought out for the system.

Sound/Audio - 9/10

The sound in this game is not nearly as good as the music, but the sounds are still cool. The way the swords sound are pretty good, and pretty much all your weapons sound nice. The sound isn't bad, but it isn't the best in the world, either. Believe me, I've heard better. Don't get me wrong, though, the sound is not bad, but it's not the best this game has to offer. The best sounds you'll find in this game is probably with your swords and weapons. Other than that, the sounds aren't too impressive. The sounds the enemies/bosses make aren't too bad, though. Aside from what I mentioned above, not much else to note. Now, about the music, I'm sure you'll find that the music in the game is legendary, and is state of the art. The music, you will find, I'm sure, gets better as you progress through the game. The game in the beginning may not sound impressive, which it pretty much isn't, but as you progress through the game, like I just said, the music will gradually get better. The music is best when you are Adult Link, plain and simple. The music of Gerudo Valley is especially good! Basically, the latter parts of the game is where you'll find the legendary "state of the art", as I put it, music it. Maybe not, but I sure as heck found the music to be legendary. I think you'll find the music gets better in the latter parts of the game, though. The only reason this section gets a 9 instead of a 10, is because the sound, not the music.

Difficulty - 7/10

The difficulty of the game is not too terribly high, but at some points in the game, it can get tough. For example, the Water Temple in this game is much easier than the one in Ocarina of Time, and that's the truth. I found that it only took me about 1 hour, if that, to beat the Water Temple in this game, whereas in Ocarina of Time, I was stuck there for about 2-4 hours. The difficulty of the other dungeons in Master Quest isn't too terribly tough, but they are much harder than the Water Temple. The Spirit Temple is by far the hardest dungeon in the game on Master Quest, to me. Now, as far as the difficulty of Ocarina of Time comes, the difficulty starts off almost non-existant. However, as you progress through the game, the difficulty scale of the game gradually builds up and in the five dungeons and the two mini-dungeons as Adult Link, you'll notice that the difficulty has indeed built up, as I just said above. The most difficult part of this game (OoT, not MQ) is the Water Temple, beyond the shadow of a doubt. The Water Temple will give any gamer a true challenge. It is by far the most annoying dungeon in the game. The enemies in the game aren't too incredibly tough, just annoying at some parts. The bosses aren't that hard, either, so the difficulty of the game isn't overall terrible, so take a sigh of relief.

Story - 10/10

I actually enjoy the overall story of the game, and I think it is a really unique story. It's nothing much different than the ones in the previous Zelda games, however. The story is this: Ganondorf, the King of Thieves of the tribe known as the Gerudos, wants to take over Hyrule and the entire world, using the Triforce. The Triforce is the essence of the three Golden Goddesses, Din, Farore, and Nayru. The three Golden Goddesses created the earth and the lifeforms in the game and after that, they left the world and the Triforce is the symbol of the three Golden Goddesses when they left the world. The Triforce will grant anyone who holds it in his or her hand a wish. If a man with a righteous heart asks for a wish, the land of Hyrule will be filled with peace and prosperity, and go into a golden age. If a man with an evil heart makes a wish, the land of Hyrule will go into a dark age, and evil will overtake it. Ganondorf, being an evil-hearted man, wants nothing more than to use Princess Zelda to get into the Sacred Realm, where he can use the power of the Triforce to conquer the world and Hyrule with it. After seven years, when Link becomes the Hero of Time, Hyrule is a wasteland because Ganondorf had received the Triforce of Power when Link pulled the Master Sword from the Pedestal of Time in the Temple of Time. The Master Sword is an ancient relic that can slay evil power. Link is the only one who can wield it, because he is the chosen one, the Hero of Time. Link, as the Hero of Time, holds the Triforce of Courage, whereas Zelda holds the Triforce of Wisdom.

Together, Link and Zelda are to save Hyrule, as well as bring peace to it. The story is very interesting, in my opinion, and I give it a 10 out of 10.

Replay Value - 9/10

The replay value of the game is pretty high, due to the unlockables in the game. After you beat the game, you can always go for Master Quest. Then, you can go for the unlockables in the game, as I just said, as well as the side quests in the game. The side quests are pretty fun, I especially liked the Gold Skulltula hunting. The Piece of Heart hunting wasn't as fun, but it was still good. After you get everything there is to get in the game and discover most of the secrets, it'll give you a good feeling. Sure, you probably won't want to play the game again for a while, but it'll probably only take a year before you'll want to again, this game is just that good. The unlockables such as the Ice Arrows was the most fun things to do in the game. Also, the Happy Mask Shop quest was fun, too. Basically, the game, when combined with the side quests and unlockables, gives good replay value. You can still play MQ, even after you beat OoT.

Overall - 10/10

The gameplay of this game is very smooth, as you being able to walk in every direction except diagonally was a blast. You could run around freely in dungeons, killing enemies with your sword, as well as other weapons and magic spells. The sound wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst, either. Basically, it was ok (I do mean strictly ok.). The music of the game, as I said above, was legendary and state of the art to me, especially in the latter parts of the game where you play as Adult Link. The music in the game was overall one of my favorite parts, as I thought the music of the battle with Ganondorf and the music of Gerudo Valley were just awesome! The graphics in the game aren't the best I've seen, but they are actually very very good, as the Gamecube has boosted them up from the N64 graphics you saw. The graphics, however, remain 3-D. The difficulty of the game was hard in some points of the game, especially the Water Temple in regular Ocarina of Time, but the difficulty didn't make you want to quit, at least not for me, it didn't. The difficulty was just right, in my opinion. The game overall, when you get everything in each version of the game, and beat each version, gets boring sure, but you'll probably want to play it again in a year or less. The gameplay is overall a legend in itself, and a ton of gamers out there like it.

Buy or Rent

Since you can't rent this game anymore, just buy it. Plain and simple, if you like Zelda games, or if you like Action/Adventure games, then just buy this game! You won't regret it, more than likely! You might be able to find it on eBay, or maybe even at your local game store. Note that Wal-Mart does not have this. Since this bonus disc was a limited time offer, you'll have to search high and low for it, and if you can get it, it'll be a used copy, more than likely, so just keep that in mind if you are considering buying it. If you can find it, it's well worth the money!

And that's the end of the review. I hope you enjoyed this review, and I hope it gave anyone who was wanting to try it an opinion on whether or not they should get it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/21/05