Review by MegaPowerNinja

""He was not unhappy""

Pre Review: Ive been a fan of the Harvest Moon series since the days of the SNES, but I will admit I haven't kept up with the series as well as I would've liked. However I have recently gotten back into the awesome farm sim series with Harvest Moon: Its a Wonderful Life and Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town and I am currently looking to buy Harvest Moon 64, but enough about the other games lets get into this one.

Im not too big on reviewing the graphics portion of games because its almost impossible to fairly rate graphics if you really think about it. This game is without bump mapping or anything like that but it doesn't really need them either. (although it does feature some nice grass shading, which is a nice touch.)This game does just fine with semi-cel shaded looks and a cartoonish appeal to it. (wheres my trusty blue cap?? BLASPHEMY!) The graphics are excellent for this sort of game and its hard to find fault with them. (mainly 'cause there is none.)

I found some of the SFX a bit annoying or awkward especially early on but other than that this game features a solid soundtrack with little else to complain about.

Music: 8/10
The music in this game is really easy to listen to and I enjoy it quite thuroughly, its really quite relaxing. Although the only fault is that a couple of the songs can become a bit repetative. Thankfully, if you get tired of the music that is playing, you have a record player in your room that you can use to change the BGM or turn it off altogether. (Why would you do that?)

This is the same Harvest Moon you know and love. Sew the seeds, water and harvest your crops, feed and milk the cows, woo the women, (and in this game, raise your child) etc etc. I do like the camera in this game, it controlled entirely by the C stick which is nice, or you can use the L button to rotate it 90 degrees. Not much else. All I could ever ask for.
Ninja's Note: Although I would've liked a bit wider of a selection of potential wives, but ah well. No problems here.

Misc Factors:
Addiction Factor 5/5
This, like any other Harvest Moon game is nearly impossible to put down (of your own free will). The only time the controller gets out of my hand is when I have to hit the bathroom. Sometimes not even then (gooo wavebird!).
Needless to say, there will be many nights where you look at the clock and say, ''Holy **** it's 4 AM!'' but most of the time you will just keep on playing.
Ninja's Note I am playing Harvest Moon right now while writing this review and I just realized its 2AM.

Fun Factor: 4/5
Many will find this game to be a bit repetative but those are not the true Harvest Moon fans. I personally find these games to be a lot of fun and I have a feeling most will agree with me.

Buy this game?
If you're a fan of the Harvest Moon series then I would scream YES at you if I could. However, as the Harvest Moon series can be hard to get into I would advise newcomers to rent this title first.

I also suggest:
Harvest Moon (SNES)
Harvest Moon 64 (N64)
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (GBA)- Ninja's Note: connects with Wonderful Life

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/18/04