"Not what I expected."

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell for GameCube is the port of the Xbox title of the same name that was released late last year. The Xbox version of the game was nominated for many Game of the Year awards, and even won a few. Now, I don't know the exact changes between the two, but let me tell you right now, this game is not worthy of even being nominated for GOTY.

You're Sam Fisher, a Splinter Cell, working for the Third Echelon group of the National Security Agency. OK, what that means is that you go in on missions to collect data, spy, etc while leaving no trace of your ever being there. This sounds fun, but it can get very boring very fast. You basically sneak into places, knock out people, move on to the next room and do the same. But, after you clear a room of enemies, you're not done. You have to pick up the bodies and carry them over to a shadow at snails' pace. This doesn't sound too bad but it can get very boring. One of the worst parts about the gameplay is that you can beat any mission just by trial and error. That means, you try it one way and die, you just start at the beginning of the room and try it again. This makes the game very easy. Because the game is very repetitive and boring, but still has some fun parts, I give it a 7.

Control: 9/10
Nothing to complain about here. The controls are simple and easy to get used to. The buttons are very responsive and I doubt you will ever die because of the controls.

Graphics: 7.5/10
The graphics obviously look worse that the the XBox version, mainly because it's a port of the PS2 one. The lighting in the game isn't too hot, which is necessary for a stealth game (duh,) but you can still tell the difference between shadows. The walls look like they're painted on sometimes, and Sam has some more jaggies around him than he did in the Xbox version, but nothing too bad. But Sam and the enemies moves nice and smoothly and the graphics aren't bad enough to ruin the gameplay. But Gamecube can do better.

Sound: 8.5/10
The sound is great in some spots but bad in others. The good: You can hear enemy's footsteps, you can even listen on some of their conversations with eachother. The music also sets a good atmosphere. Plus, Michael Ironside does the voice of Sam Fisher and he does a great job! The bad: Sometimes in in-game cut-scenes it's hard to hear what the characters are saying. As you can see, the good greatly outweighs the bad, so I give the sound an 8.5.

Replay Value: 2/10
I know what you're thinking. 'Ouch.' Well, it's true, once you beat the game, you wouldn't want to try it again. The game is just too short and easy. Even the 'hard' mode is incredibly easy. I didn't even notice a difference. Oh yeah, did I mention that neither mode unlocks anything when you beat it?

Buy or Rent
Rent this one, don't make the same mistake I did. It's a fun game, but it isn't worth the $50.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/24/03, Updated 04/25/03