Review by Pooch12585

"An excellent stealth game"

I have always been a huge fan of stealth games and I have played almost every single one of them to date. So I had to go out and get Splinter cell as soon as possible, and it did not disappoint. Splinter cell gives metal gear a run for its money.

I will start with all the technical aspects of the game and then work on the plot,length,extras aspects.

Gameplay 9/10 - The game is a great stealth game. Its a little different from Metal gear solid types though. In this game it stresses sneaking around a whole lot more. In each mission you are only allowed to set off a certain amount of alarms and you really can't afford too many encounters with enemys because of ammo and health. There aren't that many health or ammo pick ups in the game and avoiding detection is key. I love the gameplay because it's so much more tense because you really have to try your best to not get caught. You spend most of the game sneaking around instead of killing. But don't let that stop you from buying this great game.

Graphics 9/10 - The graphics in Splinter Cell are near perfect. The shadows are placed perfectly and play a huge role in getting around the levels. All of the character models look great and they cast off great shadows on wall or whatever else. I was shocked at how great Sam's shadow looked on the wall when I was sneaking down a hallway. I have not played the Xbox version but the gamecube handles this game just great I think. There are a couple of bland textures here and there but they are nothing you will really notice because of the tense action. I have not seen any frame rate problems and Don't know what everybody else is talking about.

Sound 10/10 - PERFECT! I ran it in 5.1 channel and it sounds amazing. The voice acting is crisp and isn't cheesy like most games. Gunshots and background noise is very clear along with footsteps from nearby enemys. Splinter cell has some of the best sound/acting on the gamecube to date.

Control 7/10 - My only complaint about this game is the control. Switching items and moving Sam around is a breeze but the camera is a pain. You control it and it can be hard sometimes to mess with the camera while trying to sneak past a few guards or in the middle of a fire fight. It takes some getting used to but it doesn't have the worst controls ever.

Now on to the non technical aspects.

Plot 8/10 - Splinter Cell has a pretty good plot, basically two CIA agents are sent across seas to confirm that some terrorists are plotting an attack and that they are storing a large amount of weapons..Well the two agents get caught and the government sends in a special agent named Sam Fisher to find out information about the terrorist and the two agents before WWIII breaks out.

Length 7/10 - Splinter Cell is pretty lengthy but can be beaten in about 10-12 hours on normal. Playing on hard offers a good challenge and can add more hours to the game but you really wont want to play through the game more than once. Beating it doesn't unlock any extras so that kind of lowers the overall length.

Extras 9/10 - The extras are pretty cool, you can hook up a GBA and use it to unlock the sticky bomb and you can use it to see a map which is very handy and cool. The other extras consist of behind the scenes with Michael Ironside (Sam Fishers voice), interview with Sam Fisher and the intro movie.

Rent or Buy? I went out and bought this game and I don't regret it. Although the game can be beaten in about 10 hours, you can go back through and beat it on hard.. Besides this is a great game to add to your collection. But if you really don't care about a collection and just want to beat it then renting it for a few days would be wise.

An excellent game worth every bit of your time!

8/10