Review by Kopaka88

"A diabolically dark and addictive game."

Let's start with this fact. Before the original Pikmin I had never played a Real Time Strategy Game, and I never planned to. But, one fateful day I rented it on a whim. I was blown away. I couldn't stop playing it! It was probably one of the best early gamecube games! Now that I have got a chance to play the sequel, let me say: It's better than I could have ever thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was THE best looking game on the GC. The scenery is so photo-realistic, it feels like you are walking in a picture. Some of the caverns take place inside a house. These really give you a sense of how small you really are. But the area where the game really shines is the gigantic bosses. Some of them, like the Beady Long Legs, are so amazing to see that it's hard to fight them. And of course there are the pikmin. It's really quite a site to see 100 of those little guys running around.

Sound 8/10
While I need to give props to the background sounds and music, I'm turned off by the rest. The whistle that you use, while helpful, does grate on the ears after a while. Also, during the cut-scenes, the characters speak in gibberish. Look Nintendo, if you want to put voice acting in games, great, but use real words. Luckily there is not a lot of this so I can't take that many points off for it.

Plot 7/10
Ok, I know, I know. The lack of a plot is what makes this game so great. The fact that you have no restrictions is this games charm. But, I'm disappointed in what there is of a plot. In the first game, it was a root for the underdog/survival game. In this game, you have as many days as you want, and when you first see the pikmin they are attacking creatures. The fact that the pikmin are now the predators and not the prey diminishes the connection I had between the pikmin and my self.

Gameplay 8.5/10
This is the part that you care about right? Let me assure you that it is everything that you have hoped for. This is the type of game that anyone can pick up and play. You can, and will, spend hours just harvesting pikmin. and you will love every minute. Basically, it involves running around, killing creatures, and collecting treasure. I do have one complaint though. The addition of caverns really limits the open-ness of the levels. I wish that there were more treasures in the main maps, not in the cramped dark caves. Also, killing creatures gets repetitive. The bosses bring something new, but still don't reach their potential when the pattern for every boss and enemy is throw pikmin, call them back, throw pikmin. But, oddly, it's still addictive. One final note, while this game may look cutesy, it's quite dark. I killed a mother creature and had its offspring harvest its body. Also the fact that you are going around and killing these majestic animals is slightly disturbing. But hey, I'm not complaining.

Difficulty 9/10
The fact that you get the maximum amount of pikmin very early on makes it so that your skills really grow. It all depends on YOU, not power-ups or leveling up. The fact that there is no day limit is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it really extends game length and gives a more peaceful feeling. On the other hand, it makes the game much easier than the original.

Replay Value 8.5/10
With the inclusion of a challenge mode, and multiplayer co-op and battle, you will be playing this game for a while. The multiplayer battle is amazing, but the co-op doesn't work as well is it seems like it should. The challenge mode does get hard. VERY hard. Throw your controller at the wall hard. You will be resetting a lot in the later stages. Also, once you get 100% on the game, there's not much to keep you going.

Overall 9/10
While the are some problems with this game, they pale in the fact that this game is fun on such a basic level. I guarantee that you won't be able to stop playing until you are done.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/07/05