"Poyo! Poyo!"

Introduction
Poyo! Poyo! Poyo! Poyo! Poyo! Poyo! Poyo!
Kirby is back. Whether you call him a pop star, strawberry ice cream, a pink puffball, or an eating machine that never gets fatter no matter how much junk food he eats, the only thing that matters is he is back! And he is the new reigning king of coolness! Apparently my kitties believe that too, because they always come over to sit in my lap whenever I play it.
This game was revealed for the first time seven years ago for the Nintendo 64, but that console was dying so they decided to remake it for the Gamecube. It took them seven long years to finish making the game. That must have been a lot of hard work and determination.
Kirby’s Air Ride is the best game I have ever played. It is so addictive. I feel very sorry for our forefathers. It is too bad they did not have Kirby’s Air Ride back in the olden days.
I love how the graphics are as smooth as the smoothest of silk, the music is as clear as the most beautiful bell you could ever hear, and everything flows as the Nile River flows.

Game Play 10/10
This game is pretty hard at first, but it gets easier and easier as you get more familiar with the courses and vehicles and how everything works.
Kirby’s Air Ride is divided into three game modes: Air Ride, Top Ride, and City Trial. I will tell you a brief story for all of them.

Air Ride
Air Ride is divided into five subsections: Start Game, Free Run, Game Settings, Records, and How to Play.

Start Game: 10/10
This is the standard 3D racing game. Race against three other Kirbys, or Meta Knights, or King DeDeDe, or a friend.
Free Run: 9/10
This is divided into two subsections: Time Attack and Free Run. In Time Attack you race three laps with enemies. In Free Run you race an unlimited number of laps without enemies.
Game Settings: 8/10
Here you can do several different things to enhance game play. Change the rule to lap or time, the number of laps you race or how long you race. Turn the damage off or on, turn the speed help to off, weak, or strong. Turn the enemies off or on. Change the game tempo to normal or slow. Change the course selection to off, on, or loser. There are a few rules you can earn.
Records: 9/10
See your checklist to know what objectives you have completed and need to finish. Look at your records for each of the eight courses on Air Ride.
How to Play: 10/10
This shows you a short movie telling you how to play. It shows you all of the courses, and some abilities, and special machine techniques like spin attack.

Top Ride
Top Ride is a game mode in which you race on very small courses. This is divided into five subsections: Start Game, Free Run, Game Settings, Records, and How to Play.

Start Game: 9/10
Race against three other Kirbys or a friend and use items on them.
Free Run: 9/10
This is divided into two subsections: Time Attack and Free Run. In Time Attack you race five laps with items. In Free Run you race an unlimited number of laps with items.
Game Settings: 8/10
Here you can do several different things to enhance game play. Change the rule to lap or time. Turn the items off, few normal, or many. Change the speed help to off, weak, or strong. Change the camera to normal or fixed. Change the game tempo to normal or slow. Change the course selection to off, on, or loser. There are a few rules you can earn.
Records: 9/10
See your checklist to know what objectives you have completed and need to finish. Look at your records for each of the seven courses on Top Ride.
How to Play: 10/10
This shows you a short movie telling you how to play. You will see all of the courses, and some items, and special machine techniques.

City Trial
This is divided into six subsections: Start Game, Stadium, Free Run, Game Settings, Records, and How to Play.

Start Game: 10/10
Run around in the city, beating up other Kirbys, or you can beat up a friend.
Stadium: 10/10
This is where you can play the stadiums you earn at City Trial.
Free Run: 10/10
Cruise around in the city by yourself to get familiar with the place.
Game Settings: 8/10
Here you can do several different things to enhance game play. Change how long you will play a single game, but it can only be three minutes to seven minutes. Change the game tempo to normal or slow. Make the stadium you want to play in after the city your choice. Turn the city events off or on. There are a few rules you have to earn.
Records: 9/10
See your checklist to know what objectives you have completed and need to finish. Look at your records for all of the stadiums.
How to Play: 10/10
This shows you a short movie telling you how to play. You will see some of the items, and special machine techniques.

My favorite of the three game modes is the City Trial.

Story Line X/10
What? Someone told me there was a story line! I cannot believe it! This is an outrage! Somebody is in major trouble!

Controls 7/10
This game only uses the buttons A, L, R, C, and the Control Stick when racing.
The controls will be hard for you to use without bumping into things at first, especially if you have never used a Gamecube controller before. You will just keep bumping into things. But you know what they say, practice makes perfect! I know you will get the hang of it eventually. The main thing is, when you turn a corner, if you have the bomb ability you waste a bomb.

Graphics and Animation 10/10
The graphics are some of the smoothest I have ever seen. The animation is nice and steady. The sparks from the Spark power are incredible. And it even shows Kirby in a tornado when he gets attacked by Tornado baddies. Animation in this game cannot be compared with any other game. I cannot believe how good the graphic artists are now considering how bad they have been in past games. I know this deserves the ten.

Sound Effects and Music 10/10
The sound effects are detailed superbly. You can hear the sound of the warpstar just like it sounds on television. The music is clearer than the chirps of a robin in the morning. Or a parrot mimicking you. Especially the parrot mimicking you. That is annoying.

Play Time 10/10
This game takes a few months to defeat, so get ready to skip some school! And ... I hope you have a good excuse for your teacher so you will not get in trouble.

Replay Value 10/10
Kirby sucks you into this game. He wants you to play his game. Play it for thirty seconds, and you will never stop playing. You will just be trapped in your own little world, playing Kirby’s Air Ride again and again and again. That is what Kirby wants. He likes it when we do that.

Enemies 3/10
They included a lot of enemies, but they left out a lot more than they included. I guess they had to, for the graphics and other things. But darn, some people seriously miss the other ones. I am one of those people. I really miss the ninja ability. That was such a cool power.

Vehicle Availability 10/10
Do not be surprised, the warpstar is not the only vehicle! There are sixteen vehicles I know of right now, I am positive there are more than that, though. You have to earn most of them. And there are some you can only use on one game mode.
For some of the vehicles, you have to press A, L, or R to use a speed boost. But for others, the vehicle uses the speed boost automatically.

Bonuses 10/10
There are a lot of different things you can do that are not necessarily required to complete the game.

Fun Factor 10/10
Not ... slept ... in ... 2 weeks. Eyes ... getting ... heavy. Cannot ... go on ... for ... much longer. But I must prevail somehow ... someway. No ... earthly idea ... how, but somehow ... must prevail ... I am not a loser, I am not a wimp, I am not a … I am not ... I ... I ... zzzzzzzzz.

Recap
Poyo! Poyo! Poyo! Poyo! Poyo!

Cons and Pros

Cons
Too addictive
No story line
Lots of cool enemies left out

Pros
Gorgeous graphics & animation
Excellent sound effects and music
Okay controls
Lots of vehicles
Extremely fun

Rent or Buy
I strongly suggest you rent first to see if it is your type of game. If you bought it and did not like it, I urge you to do one of the following. A) Sell it. B) Give it away. C) Destroy it. D) Give it to your dog. E) Set it on fire.
I hope you do not do C, D, or E. I especially hope you do not decide you would like to do E.
Oh yeah, and if you are planning on buying it when you go to the store, it is not just a coincidence that there is a $50.00 price tag on it. That means that it is obviously the best game in the world. Err ... the universe.

Final Score

Overall
Game Play: 10/10
Story Line: X/10