Review by jekirby

"A Kirby racing game? O_o?"

Hop onto your star and test your skill at various challenges!

Flawless Graphics. As you can see from watching the replays, the different views are all great and just stopping in the middle of the race to look at the views is fun. Combining simplicity and natural beauty to form gorgeous tracks that are able to astound you is what is done. Be sure to watch replays, it's much easier to enjoy the great art when you aren't trying to steer your star. The only problem I have is the frame rate gets a little jumpy with 4 players in City Trial, but other than that the graphics are way above average. It's a cartoon, it's not supposed to look real!

Flawless sound, catchy tunes and melodies that are pleasant to the ears also provide a sense of harmony while playing. The music is great, and there is no voice acting. The sound also fits in with the gameplay. This game is more relaxed, like the music, and event sounds are great. Everyone would enjoy life a lot more if we had music like this everyday.

The game is great, it can be a little repetitive, but it's fun to try out all the different stars, go into city mode and make a cool looking star really good, but there could have been a few better maps, all the maps are unique and fun in their own way, and I'm not constantly using the same few maps. A new feature is the use of more than one Gamecube, or as we all can hope with the Revolution, internet play. I wouldn't be suprised to see a sequel, and I would enjoy it.

Difficulty: 5/10
Most people come here and say this is why not to buy it, it's so easy, it's for kids! Well, not necessarily. Although racing on easiest settings with a decent star is one of the least difficult things to do, unlocking everything is a challenge. But this is great for games, people who are new to videogames can play on easy settings and have fun playing the game, while people used to it can immediately skip to the higher levels of difficulty.

Replay: 9/10
The replay is the other drawback to this game. Racing games generally can be repetitive, and so can many other games, GENERALLY. This game has many different modes, racing of course, Top Ride Minigame, and City Trial, which could turn out to be a many number of things. One thing I think many people would like to see is a more air oriented map, where you could explore and fly through obstacles and such.

Controls: 10/10
W.O.W. Two buttons, of course there are some drawbacks, but after you get used to it tasks become easy to do and don't require moving your hands at all. You can even brake your right arm and play using only the L trigger and control stick. But the best way to control is to use the control stick, L or R trigger, and instead of A use the C-stick, to rotate the camera, so you can see if you should turn before you actually need to, so you don't end up hitting a wall, although if using the Control Stick and the A button you should do fine.

Rent or Buy: Buy
In my first version I said Rent, but since then the game has become a Nintendo Choice, or something like that, which means it's only $20. The game is a great game, it will keep you entertained for a long time, and it only takes 4 blocks of memory. HAL made Super Smash Bros and you can be sure of the same high quality gameplay from this game. It can also be used with the Broadband adaptar and played with other Gamecube's via LAN, but unless you play PSO, you probably don't have those. I'm not a big fan of Kirby (I didn't realize his name was in my username), but I love this game.

Overall, it's a great game, and it's pretty original, but this game is more like a fun little party game to play every once in a while when you have your friends come over, and most people have other games they'd think they'd rather play. Give this a chance, you won't regret it! If you took the time to read this you obviously have some interest, so trust your instincts!!!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/20/03, Updated 07/06/05