Review by goryman

"As much as a nostalgic lover I am, this game is pretty good."

Remember when Super Mario All Stars came out for the Super NES? It was fun, but they should have kept the original graphics. Now I'm usually that type of person. Anyway, continuing on, In 2001, when I was 11, I played Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation, and boy, was I hooked. I was a pretty big Metal Gear Solid fan when I was 11. Then three years later, they released the game on the Gamecube. Now if you're wondering why I brought up Super Mario All Stars is because it gives me a chance to state this fact: there are exception. And MGS: The Twin Snakes is a big exception. I was really impressed. I thought the people at Nintendo and Konami did a great job. Plus they added new things. They took elements from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and made this excellent update.

GRAPHICS: They have really improved on the graphics. But of course, if they had original Playstation graphics on a Gamecube game, that would look silly. The characters, items and the locations have a lot more detail. Very good job.

MUSIC & SOUND: I like the music and the sound. Great espionage music and gunshots, alarms and other stuff is good. The voice acting is great, though on thing DID bug me. The person playing Naomi sounds different. In the PS, she sounds British, but in the remake, she sounds more American. Though a little weird, it's nothing major.

CONTROLS: The controls are good. Though a little complexity of the things to do, they are easy to learn.

GAMEPLAY: Hey, it's Metal Gear Solid! It's the same old stealthy fun we've all grown to love. Plus the gameplay has improved a lot. In MGS2: Sons of Liberty, you can aim your gun and you can even hold a soldier at gunpoint, and maybe get a dog-tag from him. They've decided to include that in the Twin Snakes, and it has added to the improvement. Also on Sons of Liberty, if you are seen by the soldier, they shoot at you, then they go somewhere else and talk on a walkie-talkie and the alert begins. But you can kill the guy, or even shoot out his walkie-talkie before you even get into big crap. They've also decided to have that in The Twin Snakes. And though this is rare, they've took a classic and made it a whole lot better.

Sometimes, classics should be left alone and not edited, like the Mario games and the original Star Wars movies. But there are exceptions to every rule and The Twin Snakes is a very excellent update. If you liked the original MGS on the Playstation, then you're in for a real treat. A noteworthy buy in anyone's GameCube Library.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/18/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (US, 03/09/04)