Review by birch2001

"The best gets better."

NOTE: I AM GIVING THIS GAME TWO SCORES: ONE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE ORIGINAL AND ONE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE PLAYED THE FIRST.

Let me say first that this is a remake of my favorite game of all time, so it is pretty much a given that I will give it a perfect score, but this game goes above and beyond what we saw on the PS1 five years ago and stands on its own as one of the best games of all time.

Gameplay (1st timers:10, Veterans:9)
The controls are quite good considering the Gamecube controller does not have a L2, Select, or pressure-sensitive buttons. Press Start + A to access the Codec. Start + B to pause. Press Y when you’re gun is drawn to bring it down. Those are the three combos that had to be placed in the game so that everything would work. They feel kind of weird at first, but you’ll soon get used to them. Snake handles like a dream, and is a joy to run around the game. The levels are laid out basically 100% like they were in MGS1, but the new guards are smarter, and the environments have fewer places to hide, so if you’re spotted, you’re going to have to kill just about everyone that comes your way. This makes the game harder, which is good. All the added moves

Graphics (9, 9)
Snake looks great. The rest of the characters look great. The environments look great. There are minute details everywhere, which add greatly to the presentation. So why only a 9? There are some textures (especially on doors) that look kind of blurry. There’s also a character who you meet in a cell early in the game that looks weird from certain angles and his teeth are modeled in full 3D, but they’re not shiny, so they look pretty fake. But there are plenty of moments when you’ll see little things that are really good. Beads of sweat roll down someone’s face; Snake has many different facial expressions that move smoothly; you can watch droplets of blood from enemies fly through the air and land on the ground perfectly (I’ve never seen that in a game). You get the idea. Lip motions are a bit understated. They’re synced fine, but they look like they’re whispering too much, even when they’re talking pretty loudly. Also, after seeing Resident Evil 4 screens, I know what “10 graphics” are.

Sound (10, 10)
A much improved soundtrack. The best voice acting in any game; ever. Sound effects that work perfectly. That’s all you need to know.

Story (10, 10)
The best story in any previous game gets the graphical overhaul it needs to really touch us and a full hour of more cinematics make it much cooler than the original. I don’t want to go into anything, because the story is pretty much what makes the game, so just know that it’s good. Very, very good.

Overall (10, 9)
It has topped MGS in every way, but the new stuff may not be enough for some people who played the original. If you really liked the first game, then you’ll really love this. A Resident Evil 1-style remake would have earned it a 10 (the amount of change is comparable to the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings movies, but hey, that’s enough for me!).

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/10/04