Review by Serrin

"A Perfect 10...Altered"

The Metal Gear Series has been with us for over 15 years. The latest is a remake of Metal Gear Solid, with the player once again infiltrating the base on Shadow Moses Island. In many parts of this review, I will compare this to the original MGS. I believe that that is fair, since many revered the original to be a perfect 10-meaning the standard by which other games should be judged.

Graphics: 9 The graphics are nothing short of breathtaking. With the realtime cutscenes stealing the show. The only reason that graphics don't get a perfect rating is because of the slowdown that occurs at different times throughout the game. This slowdown happens when intense action is going on, and isn't even noticable for some people.

Sound Effects: 7 In a word - Downgraded. The gunfire does not sound as satisfying, and the voice acting was altered to remove accents and change wording. The effect for neck breaking sounds -I don't know, just weird. On the voice acting, Snake still has good acting, as well as the Colonel and Liquid, so no worries there. It's just the minor characters on your support team that lost a lot of their flavor.

Music: 8 The music in many parts of this game was changed from the original-The orchestral score swapped for techno remixes. I'm always up for experimentation in music, since I consider myself a musician, but some of this stuff is just unacceptable. Overall, I have to say that this is still good stuff.

Gameplay: 10 Metal Gear has always had some of the most addictive gameplay. This has not changed, and multiple playthroughs are not required, but you'll find yourself playing through it to get a better ranking many times over. On the other hand, the slowdown can make it hard to aim in first person, as the analog stick can be a little sensitive sometimes.

Overall: 8 Even with all the drawbacks, this remake of MGS is still a must-have, for both newcomers and vets. Newcomers need to see it just to learn what all the hype is about, and maybe understand MGS2 a little better. For the long-standing fans, this game offers brand new cut-scenes that will blow you away with The Matrix style action. Then again, if you're looking for new levels and such, you won't find it here. The new MGS2-style play does revive the old game a bit.

My opinion: Definitely buy this game. It will make a great addition to your library, and a good reason to dust off the Gamecube.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/11/04