Review by MajorLocke

"A Great Remake of a Classic"

About 6 years after its release on the PlayStation, Metal Gear Solid returns, this time with a new coat of paint on the GameCube as Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

Features:

- The same Metal Gear Solid you love, only with updated next-generation graphics
- Newly designed cut-scenes
- Gameplay elements from Metal Gear Solid 2 added; collect dogtags, hang from rails, and hide in lockers
- New music

Graphics
The point of remaking a game is to update its graphics. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes's graphics are much, much better than its PlayStation counterpart's. However, that doesn't mean that the graphics are without flaw. The characters and areas looks really good, but compared to upcoming GameCube games like Resident Evil 4, the game doesn't look as good. The textures in some areas can look much better, but I won't bash Silicon Knights too much because just being able to play a truly great game with next-gen graphics is more than you can ask for, even if the graphics arent ''best-looking game ever''-quality.
There are effects in this game such as: you walk in snow and you'll see your footprints.

The lighting in the game is good. When I first started the game and was actually in control of Snake, the game looked darker than the PS version. The camera angles in this game are improved as well.

Even though this isn't the best-looking game on the GameCube, MGS:TTS is the best-looking Metal Gear Solid game yet.

Gameplay
MGS:TTS combines the gameplay of MGS and MGS2. MGS2 introduced the ability to hide in lockers, hang from rails, and fire your weapon from first-person mode.

It'll take you a bit of time to get adjusted to the GameCube controller for this game if you are a PS MGS vet (like I am), but you'll get used to the controls quickly. An interesting feature of the controls is that you actually can't pause the game; you'll find that nothing happens when you push the Start button. However, by holding Start and pushing A the codec will pop-up and by pushing B instead of A the map will appear on-screen. Interesting to say the least, and it may frustrate you at first, but you'll get used to it.

Another thing you can do that was added from MGS2 is collect dogtags from a lot of the people in the game. So far I've only found 2: Vulcan Raven and Liquid Snake.

Sound
Most of the music in the game has changed; so, basically what that means is that if you liked one of the tunes in the original MGS you probably won't find it in here. In its place is a new soundtrack which sounds good, but I'm not completely sure yet if I like it over the original soundtrack. I do like the tune that plays when you are fighting a boss, though.

The voice acting has been completely redone in MGS:TTS. At times, you may not be able to tell the difference from the PS and GC versions, but there are times where you know that he or she didn't say that in the original game.

Replay Value
This game is SHORT. However, that doesn't mean that once you're done with it there's nothing else to do. If you surrendered at the torture chamber and completed the game you get the stealth camoflauge. If you didn't give in you get a bandana which gives you unlimited ammo. Both are great items, although I prefer the stealth camo.

My first time beating MGS:TTS took just over 8 hours on normal mode. If you know what you are doing, are playing on very easy mode, and have the stealth camo my guess is you can beat this game in 2-3 hours, if not less.

Still, this game is so good that you'll want to replay it again and again and again even if you get every item and dogtag because it's so good.

The Final Word
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is a great remake of a classic game. Even though it doesn't add anything new in terms of items (with the obvious exception being the dogtag, although that isn't new to the series), being able to play through one of the best games of all-time with updated graphics, gameplay elements added from MGS2, and new cut-scenes is a real treat for gamers. Even if you have completed the original Metal Gear Solid millions of times, I strongly urge you to get this game if you have a GameCube, especially since it's $10 cheaper than most games at their time of release. If you don't have a GameCube, but are a big stealth and Metal Gear fan, get a GameCube and a copy of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/11/04