Review by mjfru201

"Classic Metal, New Gear"

Ah, the Metal Gear Solid series produced Mr. Hideo Kojima. The Metal Gear series all began back around the late 1980’s on the Nintendo Entertainment System, and the MSX. It introduced “stealth” gameplay, where you gun is a last resort. Metal Gear faded away for quite a while until it was reintroduced in 1998 as Metal Gear Solid. That sold incredibly well, and a few years later they produced Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, and like the first game, it also sold extremely well. Now, Konami has teamed up with the Silicon Knights to bring us…Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, a remake of the PlayStation 1 hit Metal Gear Solid, exclusively for the Nintendo GameCube.

One of the things that made Metal Gear Solid 1&2 famous was the realistic story along with technology that might come to us in the future. You are Solid Snake, a specially trained soldier cloned to replicate the “perfect” soldier Big Boss. Now, Solid Snake wasn’t the only one who was cloned (notice the title “The Twin Snakes”), there were others as well that you will find out about in the course of the game. You’ll meet up with other characters as well that have unique personalities and traits to make you get attached to the characters.

The story you start out with is that, in a secret research facility, groups of specially trained engineers are working on a massive mobile nuclear weapon named, Metal Gear Rex. Throughout the game you encounter various people who give you more information about what exactly is going on with Metal Gear. The story may at first seem straight forward, but as you get further and further you encounter many plot twists and things that have you stray away from the main story. This is the kind of game that you remember the story for a long time, because of great characters and the plot.

Another thing the Metal Gear Solid series is known for is its amazing graphics. Everything in the game looks as though someone went out, took pictures, and pasted them into the game making it feel like a living environment. Everything is so amazingly detailed, from the snowflakes gently falling, the lighting effects, the footprints left on the ground, to the guns blazing bullets. Nothing in the graphics looks flawed and they can easily be compared to Metal Gear Solid 2. Sadly though, the Codec hasn’t changed at all from the original game. I was expecting a Metal Gear Solid 2 style Codec, it’s nothing big though, I’m just a little disappointing that they didn’t change it at all.

Sound is another contributing factor in this games’ greatness. The music is just a wonderful thing to listen to while playing this game, at times it feels like a live performance. The music can go a long time and you won’t notice any looping at all because the games’ music seems to flow along. The sound effects are incredibly well done to go along with the music. Everything from the guns shooting off, footsteps made, and even the voice acting is superb.

The absolute best part of this game is the gameplay. Veterans of Metal Gear Solid 2 will feel right at home with this game because all the gameplay features the Metal Gear Solid 2 had are now in this game, making the gameplay better than ever. The new features that were brought over include, hanging from ledges, doing somersaults to avoid enemy fire, collecting dog tags, and my favorite, shooting in first-person mode. During your mission you must be as sneaky as possible to get your objective done. If you are caught the incredibly smart enemies will call for the attack team to come in, you must then hide and hope the enemies don’t find you until the attack squad is called back. Things like leaving footprints, running on loose flooring, not hiding a body when another guard is on patrol, and making sounds will alert the guards to you. There are some ways that you can hide from enemies though, like you can hide in boxes (when you acquire them), get in shadows and stay as still as possible are some ways to lose guards. Throughout the game you will also find some cool weaponry and gadgets that could even put James Bond to shame. The bosses also are all unique, each with a different way of fighting, from shooting your opponent quickly, battling a tank, to fighting a heavily equipped helicopter. This game also comes in many different flavors of difficulty, like Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard, so you get to choose how you want to go through the game. Overall length though varies, veterans of the original might be able to complete the game in 5-8 hours, while newcomers to the game it might be 6-12, this also depends on what difficulty it’s set on. Replay of this game is very high, for a few reasons. Number one is the game is just so much fun, and number two is the game might not last as long as you would want it too. I’m sure that everyone who plays this game will play it 2 or 3 times before calling it quits. I’m enjoying the game so much I can see me playing it maybe 4 times, but maybe that’s because I’m kind of obsessed with the game right now.

My Run Down

Story 10/10
Graphics 9/10
Sound 10/10
GamePlay 10/10
Replay 8/10
Overall (not an average) 10/10

Final Word
Please, go do yourself a favor, buy this game and enjoy it. The price is only $40.00 so go out and treat yourself to the best remake of one of the best games’ ever made. Anybody who enjoys a great story, amazing graphics and sound, and the spectacular gameplay should go out and buy this game. Well thanks for reading the review; I’m going to go wait impatiently for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/11/04