Review by Escobar4Life

"A SOLID game that's already a classic!..."

A SOLID game that's already a classic!....

Classic METAL. New GEAR. SOLID gameplay.

Believe it or not, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (MGS: TTS) is already a classic! MGS: TTS is a remake of the original 'Metal Gear Solid' game that was released back in 1998 for the PlayStation 1. Metal Gear Solid is considered a classic. Not only that, its the origin of stealth games. Now, for those who never played the classic game now have chance to play an even better version!

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes has the same jaw-dropping story that made Metal Gear Solid a classic. It also features the gameplay engine of another classic (in my opinion) 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty'. You can now collect dogtags, perform somersaults, hang from ledges, first-person mode and the stun gauge. The graphics of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes are also better than Metal Gear Solid 2's graphics. Enough with the new features, let me tell you what Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is about.

You are Solid Snake, the legendary hero. Your mission: to rescue the hostages, stop the terrorist group known as 'Fox-Hound', your former unit from launching a nuclear strike. You must do anything to stop them.

REVIEW:

Gameplay (10 out of 10):

I give the gameplay a 10 out of 10! SOLID gameplay! The gameplay is the same as Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. I loved everything about Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. MGS: The Twin Snakes has that gameplay. The thing I enjoyed most about the gameplay is that you have alot of liberty, action and stealth. Of course, this games stealth isn't like Splinter Cell. The Twin Snakes is more action than stealth. Like they say, actions speak louder than words. Anyways, I believe you will truly enjoy The Twin Snakes. Its a lot of fun. You might even be hooked on the 'snakes' for hours.

The main point of this game is to get to your objective without being discovered. You must use your tactical espionage action skills for this mission of your life. Sneak, hide and kill in order to get through the enemies. You must think of a strategy so you can pass. If you do not have one, it will be extremely difficult for you to get through. Some simple strategies are to distract the enemies by tranquilizing them (with the M9 Tranquilizer gun or Stun Grenade), killing them, knocking on solid objects, throwing clips, making noises or knocking them out. Once you distract the enemy, it is your best chance to get through unnoticed. If you get spotted by a surveillance camera or an enemy, you have a few options: 1. Run like hell; the A.I is so smart that it won't let you be. You'll have to escape. 2. Fire at will or die trying; If there is nowhere to escape, this is your best option (I think). You have to fight them. This should be the tricky part because there are alot of enemies to fight. When many are nearby, fight them hand to hand (which would knock 'em down quickly) or if you have time, throw a couple of grenades (such as stun grenades to stun them or a fragment grenade to see them fly in the air in pieces). You can also run and shoot them. Its more difficult to kill them when you are using a handgun. Using an assault rifle while running when there are alot of enemies is the best thing to do.

MGS TTS has alot of weapons to choose from, such as: handguns, tranquilizers, grenades, rocket launchers, assault rifles, sniper rifles and a handful of more weapons too. You can even hide from enemies using a cardboard box! There are other useful gadgets such as thermal goggles, night vision goggles, rations, girly magazines, empty clips, suppressors, gas mask and more.

Another fun thing about The Twin Snakes is that you face alot of bosses. You face all of Fox-Hound; Vulcan Raven, giant shaman, carries a huge vulcan cannon (minigun); Psycho Mantis, ability to read your mind (wow, this is a really fun boss fight and tricky too); Sniper Wolf, a lady sharpshooter, she is deadly as she is sexy; Revolver Ocelot, big fan of western flicks, his name says it all; and Liquid Snake, the man with the same code name as you and leader of Fox-Hound. All of Fox-Hound have special abilities. Another boss you'll also fight is the Cyborg Ninja. You'll fight some of these bosses multiple times too, which is fun! Such as a military tank, a bunch of genome soldiers too.

Sound (9.5 out of 10):

The sound is really good. Voice Actors did an extremely good job and possibly one of the best. All of the voices were remade. So don't think they used the same voices from the PS1 version. I also loved the music in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. When you listen to it while playing, it makes you feel better and your heart will be pumping (mine did). It also made me want to buy the Twin Snakes soundtrack (which I will soon). Good thing all of the sounds and music were redone because on the original Metal Gear Solid, you could hear echo's from enemies and such. Sound doesn't really bother me much. But its always great to have a game you love have some pretty good sound. Gunshots, explosives, knocking, etc. are all good too. So, sound shouldn't be a problem for you.

Graphics (8.4 out of 10):

The graphics is the most noticeable difference between The Twin Snakes and the original Metal Gear Solid. And I mean HUGE difference. In my opinion, the graphics are good, but they could of been excellent. They are on par or even better than Metal Gear Solid 2's graphics. I believe they are better. But still, Silicon Knights could of done a much better job. I've seen better graphics. Don't get me wrong, Twin Snakes has good graphics, but I expected more. Environments are also really good. You can see the foot prints when you walk on the Alaskan snow. The weather effects are great. You can see the snowflakes fall down which looks pretty cool.

The cut scenes (or cinemas) are simply amazing!!! Sure, they used alot of Matrix-style in it. But who cares, it fits with the games presentation. And I'm usually a person who hates 'Matrix-Style' movies. But thats because I've got used to watching Jackie Chan films. Which they don't use many special effects (except the new ones). Speaking of Jackie Chan style, you'll see alot of martial arts in The Twin Snakes. Snake kicking @$$ and taking names is cool! Which also looks awesome because I'm a martial arts fan. I wish I could tell you about it, but I don't want to spoil the game for you.

Controls (8.5 out of 10):

This is probably the only thing I had to complain about The Twin Snakes. You shoot with the A, perform an action with Y, crouch down/crawl with X, melee attacks with B, first-person mode with Z, L & R for items & weapons, START & A for Codec, and START & B for map/pause. The bad thing is, once you press the weapon button, you fire the weapon. Unless you un equip the weapon or something. Another thing, you will have to press B & A to run while shooting. I just didn't like pressing a combination of weapons to perform other actions.

The controls aren't as bad as they say or as I say it. Once you get used to them, they shouldn't be a problem. At first they were, but I quickly got used to them because I was so addicted to this game. So again, the controls shouldn't be a problem to you.

Story (10 out of 10):

AWESOME! Another reason why the original Metal Gear Solid became a classic. The story is extremely awesome. I'll try not to spoil it for you. Its about a terrorist group known as Fox-Hound (your former unit before they went awry) are threatening the white house that they will launch a nuclear missle if their demands are not met within 24 hours. Their demands: mucho dinero (alot of money, millions) and the remains of Big Boss (Solid Snake's father. Snake was cloned by Big Boss. There are another 6 or 7 brothers or sisters).

Your Mission: Infiltrate their military base in Shadow Moses Island, Alaska. Infiltrate and find out if they really have the ability to lauch a nuclear strike. If so, you must stop them. How? You'll have to do anything possible to stop them. This means, eliminating Fox-Hound and whatever plans they have. You must also stop their secret proto-type project, METAL GEAR REX.

In your mission, you'll encounter many friends and foe's alike. They will all change your life one way or another. From Snake Vs. Snake to love, care, betrayal, lies and death. Hideo Kojima (a video game legend in my opinion) did a perfect SOLID job with the story. He did a great job and followed the story from the NES/MSX Metal Gear games, 'Metal Gear' (NES, MSX. 1987) and 'Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake' (MSX, 1990). Not only will you fall in love with the story, you'll also learn alot from Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

OVERALL: SOLID 9.8

I consider Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes a classic game this generation. I loved every single thing about Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance (which I beat over 30 times) from story, characters (even Raiden, which is also one of my favorite characters), gameplay and just about everything else. I quickly became a Metal Gear fan. The first time I beat Metal Gear Solid 2, I wanted to play the orignal Metal Gear Solid, so I went and bought it. I did play about half way through, but it didn't feel the same as Metal Gear Solid 2. Don't get me wrong, it was still great but I didn't pay much attention to it. I wanted to play it the way it was supposed to. And that was putting the best gameplay with best story. And you get Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes. MGS TTS is one of my favorite games (MGS TTS, MGS2 SOL/Substance, Halo, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Ninja Gaiden are all some of my favorites and a few more. But MGS TTS and MGS2 SOL/Substance are my top favorite games of all time.

So yes, get this game, and get it now. I tried my best to convince you to get this game. This game also features alot of replay value. You can collect dogtags, special items, boss survival, and much more. This game is a classic and a must get game. A game for new Metal Gear fans and veterans. Don't forget, this game is also $40 (fantastic price for a fantastic game).

Again, you should get this game. Its one of the best games on the Cube and on any other console. I give it a 9.8 out of 10. Some may love it, and some may not.
Thank you Hideo Kojima, Konami and Silicon Knights for creating an awesome classic game that we will never forget.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/13/04, Updated 03/14/04