Review by solidsnake141

"An awesome remake for a game that didn't need to be remade."

If you talk to me frequently about games, you will hear one name come out of my mouth over and over again. That name is Metal Gear Solid. And now, the man who made the Mullet cool again, Solid Snake, is back again for a not so new adventure with no Raiden in sight (Yippie!) Konami, led by my god, Heido Kojima, have teamed up with Nintendo developer, Silicon Knights, to remake Metal Gear Solid one with the game Engine from Metal Gear Solid two exclusively for everyone's favorite purple (Or black in my case) cube, the Nintendo Gamecube. Schwing!

Story
You know, a paragraph really isn't gonna do the story of this game justice, but, I don't want to spoil anything, so here I go: Next Generation Special Forces, led by members of FOXHOUND, have seized Shadow Moses island, a nuclear weapons disposal facility in the middle of Alaska. They say that if the government does not hand over 50 billion dollars and the remains of the greatest soldier of the twentieth century, Big Boss, they will launch a nuclear weapon. The hero of the story, Solid Snake, has been sent in to A. Rescue the hostages, DARPA chief Donald Anderson, and ArmsTech President, Kennith Baker, and B. Find out whether or not the terrorists have the ability to launch a nuke, and stop them if they do.

This story has more twists and turns then a game of Pac-Man, but the one thing that sticks out in my mind is the wonderful cast of characters, including Solid Snake. The most badass spy in the history of man. James Bond can't hold a candle to this guy. This game also had my favorite bad guy in the history of games. The best bad guys are the ones who, at the end, you actually sympathize with him and understand why he does the thing he does. This is one of those bad guys. But it's the way he carries himself and the way he conducts business that makes him so memorable. There's only one thing that keeps this game from getting a perfect ten, and that's the fact that I've seen it before and not in a ''they copied this from other games'' kind of way. This game is a exact remake of the first game. Nothing has been done to enhance the story in any way whatsoever. But, other then that, it's one of the best stories you will ever see. 9 out of 10

Graphics
When they took the gameplay engine from MGS2, they took the graphics engine too. Now, granted, MGS2 is probably the best looking game for the PS2, it's not the best looking Gamecube game. it's not the best looking Gamecube game, but it's up there. The character model's are still as brilliant as ever. Alot of people say they think the inside structures are very gray and bland. Well, have you ever been in a building like Shadow Moses? That's what they look like. They're very gray. Trust me. To put it simply, the game looks beautiful. 10/10

Sound
For the most part, the game sounds incredible, but there are some sticks in the mud. For some reason, a couple of the Voice actors from the original trip couldn't make it for the ride this time around. The voice for Dr. Naomi Hunter has changed a little bit. She no longer has that British accent. I can get by that. In fact, in some cases, I prefer it. The one that Bothers me is the new voice of Mei Ling. I can't stand her voice. Who once sounded like a dignified woman now sounds like a 14 year old school girl. What's up with that? I hope she never works again. The only other character whose voice has changed is ninja's voice, and he actually sounds better then he did in the first game. Another thing is that, Sometimes, the new music score can get a little more techno then I prefer, But that's only about 10% of the time. The rest of the time, the music score is the stuff legends are made of. 9/10

Gameplay
Ah, here we are. The core of every game. The game play. And metal Gear Is the best in the business. Metal Gear has its own genre called Tactical Espionage Action. Lets start with Tactical. Every situation in this game makes you think about your every move you make so you don't die. Especially when you need to get through the mine field. This game makes you do so many different things. It is so much more than a shooter.
Next is Espionage. This game is all about stealth. You can hide behind stacked boxes, squeeze into small places, hide under staircases, even hide under a cardboard box. Your main strategy should always be yo wait until your enemy has his back turned and shoot him in the head before he can call for reinforcements. You need to hide the body before one of his comrades see him dead on the floor and call for reinforcements. To survive, you must rely on your radar, the most important part of the game play. But in the harder difficulties, there is no radar. So you need to rely on your wits alone.
Lastly is action. For a stealth game, there are a LOT of weapons. An assault rifles, Two hand guns, four grenades, two rocket launchers, two explosives, and two sniper rifles. And you will use each weapon at least once. Like I said before, your gun should always be a last resort. Guns make racket unless they have a silencer on them. Guards will come if they hear a gun fire and things can get difficult. The action is so fun. I love holding up people and just leaving them there with there hands over there head. If you point the gun at their head or groin, he will tell you not to shoot and will give you stuff in return. The main gun you use in the game doesn't even kill them. It is a tranquilizer gun that makes them fall asleep. The controls do take some getting used to, but it shouldn't take you long. All in all, Metal Gears game play is in a league of its own. 10/10

Final Verdict
This is a worthy remake to a timeless classic that didn't need a remake. I am proud to say I own this game. If you've never played Metal Gear Solid (all 4 of you) now is you're chance to play some history. For vets, you will enjoy it as much as you did 5 years ago. 10 out of 10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/16/04, Updated 03/16/04