Review by solidsnake4mgs2

"One of the greatest remakes made"

I never played the original MGS before. I've seen my uncle play it when I was young, but still never really played it myself. Then I got MGS2, played it, loved it...well you see my name, solidsnake4mgs2...you get the idea. When I got Gamecube and realized a remake was coming out for MGS, I HAD to get it. I've never even played it before, but I knew that I had to get it anyways. When I finally did get it and started playing it, I was amazed in everything there was in the game. I explain here the different points of the game and what's so good about them.

This is the strong point of the game. The graphics were laid out beautifully, and there were very little to no flaws at all. Better than the original (obviously), it was what the new game was all about. It showed how MGS was MEANT to be played. Also, the new videos made were amazing with all the action, it was very realistic. Well, maybe the gameplay wasn't too realistic, but the pictures and graphics themself were very good. The graphics get a perfect score.

Another strong point in the game, there are so many things to do. If you've ever played MGS2, the gameplay is just like it, so for people like me who've only played that before the original, it worked out very nicely. They all come in great use, though I've heard that first person view made the game too easy. It just helps in the game, and the only bad part behind it is that it just isn't original. There are many good parts in the game that I was just in awe of. For example, there's the many matrix fights that go on between Snake and other enemies. He's flipping and dodging all over the place, especially during one scene where he does a side flip over a door 10 feet high just to not be seen. My favorite action scene is where the helicopter fires two missles at him. One lands near his feet, blasting him up. The other he flips over in mid air, stepping on it, kicking it, and shoots down the helicopter with his stnger still in mid-air. Maybe a bit unrealistic, but sweet nontheless. Also, with Psycho Mantis, he read me when he's like I see you like action games! Oh, you've played Super Smash Brothers Melee before! There was a ton of good gameplay in the game, which was very good in the game. Overall, the gameplay also gets a perfect score.

Controls: 7/10

This is the game's only downfall. Trying to change the controls from the PS2 to the Gamecube was difficult, and first playing the game can be very confusing. The buttons for moving around and crouching and what-not are jumbled all over the place and I had no idea what to do at first. Hopefully, you'll be able to get it later. Once you do, the game becomes much better right then. Then again, I did have a rough start, At first, I was running around not knowing how to punch or shoot. After some time, I got used to them, and I can almost master them now. Then again...again, I played through the whole game for the first time not knowing how to choke or throw. The controls could've been better, but it all works out. The controls get a somewhat lower score.

The music is nice throughout the game, and the songs I've never heard before were actually great. I even noticed during the one part of the game, the music was partially taken from the MGS2 theme song, which made me happy :D. The voices are also done very nicely, though I've heard that some of them were changed, like Mei Ling's accent was gone, but for people like me, it didn't make much of a difference. Other than that, I didn't really find any other mistakes besides that. The sound gets a perfect score.

Ah, yes. What a great story. I have to say, this was much less confusing then MGS2, and didn't have nearly as many videos instead of actual gameplay. What the story is basically terrorists are threatening to launch a nuke if their demands are not met: 1 billion dollars and Big Boss's remains. Snake definitely doesn't want to do it, but when he sees the man behind the whole thing, Liquid Snake, has the same face as him, he realizes that that's his twin. That leads him to take the mission. The rest of the story you'll have to find out. It turns out pretty good...or bad, depending on what you do later in the game. The story also gets a perfect score.

This isn't exactly an average, even though it would turn out to be the right one, but some things in the game were good, and very little things were bad. Once you get used to the controls, you'll learn to love the game too. You should definitely buy it. I only bought it, and I loved it. If you don't trust me, then rent it, but I know that you'll want to buy it, so don't waste money renting and buy it today.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/18/04