Review by Silver2003

"Very Cool"

When I first heard about Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes last year, I was very excited. Metal Gear Solid was one of the best games on the original Playstation console and Metal Gear Solid 2 was great on Playstation 2. So of course getting a Metal Gear Solid game for GameCube was a cause for excitement. I was also excited about the fact that this game was combining the best of Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 into one game. I was even more excited because I saw that it was going to be handled by one of my favorite developers, Silicon Knights. I really enjoyed Eternal Darkness and was interested in seeing what they could do with a Metal Gear Solid Remake. Now, the game is out and I can see that I had every reason to be excited.

Basically, the story starts of with the terrorists threatening to launch a nuclear weapon if the White House doesn't answer their demands. That is where you, Solid Snake, come in. Your are sent to Alaska to the compound to find out if the terrorists really have the ability to launch a nuclear strike and if they do, to stop it. You'll be able to communicate with other important characters who give you advice and help you out over a little device called a Codec. Little do you know that there is much more to the story than that and their are many plot twists throughout the game that I don't want to give away. Believe me, there are many turns in the plot that will surprise you and have you saying something like, ''Wow, didn't see that coming'' as you make your way through the game.

The story is cool and is definitely a huge part of the game. The cut-scenes and the game in general are very story driven and the story progresses as you progress through the game. There will also be many twists that shock on your way through. You'll find that out when you play. But enough with the small talk, it's time to get to the main review.

Very nice. Everything in the game seems to look pretty realistic for the most part. The environments look smooth and sport nice texture work and detail. The characters also look detailed and have smooth animations. The character models also look well crafted and looked to be composed of a pretty good amount of polygons. Snake especially looks cool and looks like a total bad a$$. The gave him that look that makes him look fearless and always ready for action. Overall, I like how the game does not have jaggies and plays realistically. The only small gripe that I have is the framerate sometimes dips but not enough to hurt the score.

I really think that this game has great sound. The music seems to go well with the game and the environments and the sound effects are very good. They always seem to have the right music for the right situation and the gun shots and explosions sound realistic. I especially think that the voice acting is great. I really think Snake has a cool sounding voice and I think that the voices the rest of the characters have fit them perfectly. The characters sound convincing and not cheesy.

I think that it is pretty cool for the most part. Sneaking around is cool, the boss fights are definitely great, and the weapons are cool. The boss fights are worth mentioning because these are very unique bosses and all of them require a different style of fighting. As much as I would like to reveal some examples, I fear that I may spoil the experience for you if I did. But play the game and you will see exactly what I am talking about because believe me, they are cool and it is never a dull moment when fighting them. I especially like the first-person mode because it really makes the experience better. Sometimes, the camera in 3rd person isn't always at its best, but the first person mode makes it easy to look around and see everything very clearly. The first-person view especially comes in handy in boss battles and in high action situations because it is easier to aim in first-person.
The controls are also very good and feel comfortable when you play this game. The big gripe that I have are the long cut-scenes. Some cut-scenes are cool, but sometimes they can make you feel like you're watching a movie instead of playing a game. An example would be where you spend about 2 minutes running to a new area, then spending 15 minutes watching a cut-scene afterwards. But despite some of the long cut-scenes, the gameplay is still cool and the stealth and gun action go great together in this game.

Lasting appeal/replayability: 9/10
I think this game is very fun to play and will provide almost anyone with an enjoyable experience. This game has a cool story, slick graphics, great sound, and cool gameplay. The game has its moments of intense action, sneaking and trying to avoid being spotted, and some good use of strategy. This game is hard to put down once you start playing it although you may want to have a bag of chips or a six pack of coke on you during the cutscenes. Although somewhat short, the game still provides much fun and is definitely worth replaying over again.

I feel that Silicon Knights continues to prove themselves as a great 2nd party developer to Nintendo. I also hope that this games sells well so maybe we'll get more Metal Gear Solid titles in the future. Overall, I say that it is a must buy but if you are still skeptical, at least give it a rent, you won't regret it. The only reason it didn't get the perfect 10 was because of some of the ridiculously long cut-scenes and the experience being a little too short. Otherwise, the game is rocks because like Snake, it's Solid.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/25/04