Review by LobsterCactus

"Unique and fun... how rare is that combination?"

I'll start off by saying that I had my doubts about Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, but as time progressed I started to read the reviews and how the game would play like. After that, I immediately found the money to buy this game, and manage to get it on release. Soon after playing the game for two hours straight (no game on a console has ever made me play like this) I dubbed this game to be the greatest Final Fantasy ever. Now we shall proceed to the review.

Gameplay: 9/10- Unless you were isolated from society since you were born, you would know that this game is NOT turn based. Meaning that you and enemies don't take turns attacking each other. Instead this game has real time battles, which makes it a lot of fun. Spells you cast also differ from the other Final Fantasies. To cast a spell you have to put it in your command menu and select it during a battle by pressing the 'L' or 'R' buttons, then you hold the 'A' button to charge up and cast the spell. Once all of this is done you'll see a cursor on the ground, once all that is completed you can select with your analog where you want the spell to be casted. The only con about this method is that when you charge up a spell, you are completely immobile and vulnerable. Also the enemies you meet vary from place to place. But here's the catch, there is this gas called ''Miasma'' that covers the world. Don't worry since (unless you’re playing multiplayer) you have a companion called a Mog that carries a chalice that protects you from the miasma. Though, if you step out of the barrier, you will gradually begin to lose life. Your goal is to find myrrh, which can be found in myrrh trees, which are usually guarded by the dungeon boss.
At the beginning of the game you get to select what race you are. There are four different races, each with different abilities and characteristics. The four races are Clavats, Lilties, Yukes, and the Selkies. You can pick how you want your character to look like and whether you want them to be a male or female. Once you've done this, the game will begin.

Controls: 10/10- Very easy to learn, and comfortable. Shouldn’t take anyone over 10 minutes to figure it out.

Story: 8/10- You come from the village <insert name here> and your mission is to collect myrrh from myrrh trees, and to bring it back to your villages crystal, which will protect the village from the miasm. Other people are also venturing for myrrh trees and they all travel in what they call ''Crystal Caravans'' to find the myrrh.

Sound: 10/10- Each creature you encounter makes a different sound, the same thing applies for when you cast spells. Every area in the game has a different theme, by doing this; the music never gets repetitive.

Graphics: 8/10- You can always expect good graphics in Final Fantasy games. You can tell each creature you encounter apart, and the environments are done amazingly. I won't try to spoil this game for you, but you'll know what I mean when you reach Mushroom Forest. Too good to be true. The spells also look good, and some of the effects in the areas you have to travel through are amazing.

Replay: 10/10- You can play this game slowly and look for all of the best items, and you could also play the game with all of the four races. All in all, if you are a true Final Fantasy fan, this game should last you over 100 hours.

Rent or Buy? - If you have doubts about this game you should just skip it (no point in renting RPGS since they are so long) but if you are interested in it, then this is a must buy.

This is Squares gift to GameCube owners, so we must cherish what we can because this game could be the last Square game we see on the Cube.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/04