Review by Terell Owens81

"A great game by a great developer"

The long awaited return of final fantasy to a Nintendo system does not disappoint. This game in its own rights is a very unique and very fun game. If you have 4 friends with GBA's then this game will be tons of fun with great replay value. The single player mode in this game is also loads of fun. With the lack of rpgs on the Gamecube Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is a welcome addition to the Gamecube lineup. The story in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is based on a world protected by crystals. Crystals protect towns from the Miasma and every year the crystals lose their power. So it is your job to go and purify them with Myrrh. So hop onto your caravan and get ready to begin your journey in this fantastic game.

Graphics - 10/10
Square is known for its brilliant looking games like Final Fantasy 10 and Final Fantasy 10 part 2. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is no different, simply put it Crystal Chronicles is a very good looking game. The character models are very crisped and detailed. The surrounding environments are also great looking and detailed. Overall I have no gripes about the graphics, Crystal Chronicles is a great looking game, and one of the best looking Gamecube games I have seen.

Gameplay - 9/10
You start the game out by being able to make your own character like whether you want your character to be male or female. The gameplay in Crystal Chronicles is real time and it differs from those of past Final Fantasy which are turn base. The combat system is a nice change from past Final Fantasy games, and makes this game unique from its predecessors. The battles in real time offers more of a challenge then that of the turn base from former final fantasy games. You have your basic menu where you can scroll through and choose your options with the L and R triggers. I really enjoyed the combat system in this game, I found it more fun then the turn base system. You have your basic attacks by pressing the A button, and you have your focus attacks by holding down A, then you have a curser where you can locate and attack your enemy. The same goes for your magic attacks, you have a curser to locate your enemy. Overall the combat system is impressive and I enjoyed it a lot, hopefully square will make more games with this combat system in future games.

Sound - 7/10
The music in this game was good at times, but at times the music got down right annoying. It also would of been nice if there were voice acting with the characters. Overall the sounds in this game was not bad.

Replay Value- 8/10
There are tons of replay value in this game, but unfortunately not everyone has 4 GBA's to get the best experience out of this game. It would of been a lot better if you were allowed to use controllers for multiplayer. But unfortunately you need GBA's which not everyone has or wants to shell out $400 to get the best out of multiplayer from this game. But if you do happen to have friend's who have GBA's then this game is filled with countless hours of replay. But even with single player the gaming experience is very enjoyable in this game.

Overall - 8.5/10
Overall this game surprised me, I was skeptical about it at first but I was amazed at how much enjoyment I got out of it. Any fan of Final Fantasy and fans of rpgs will not be disappointed in this one. Anyone with a Gamecube and looking for a great game should pick this up.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/12/04