Review by 31293

"Finally, a good X-men game after the dissappointment of Next Dimension"

X-men Legends is simply my favorite X-Men game. I am a fanatic and have played all of them. I know the sequel is already out, but I really don't think it improved at all on this installment (what's to improve on, anyway?)

~~~~~~~~~~
Story 7/10
~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, I hate to start off on a bad point, but this story isn't good. I mean, who hasn't heard the classic story? Magneto is mad, Magneto tries to kill humans, uses Asteroid M, Blah Blah Blah. Sure, there are about 4 twists, but they don't justify this mediocre story. This is the ONLY place that I will say that the sequel's story is better, simply because the Apocalypse storyline was sorta overlooked in the comics. This only gets a 7/10 from generosity and because it IS classic.

Sound 8/10
~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so the sound is pretty well done. I like the shouts of characters when you use an "X-treme" attack. My favorite part in the sound department, though, is that DANICA McKELLAR lends her voice to Jubilee! She is a great actress, and Patrick Stewart's voice acting is top-notch. The reason I gave this an 8, though, is that the background music can get VERY repetitive. But when you're hearing DANICA McKELLAR, who cares? Not me, of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Graphics 9/10
~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so after all the Wind Waker cel-shading crap, people thought this style would never come back. Guess what? It is used very well in this title. It really makes you feel like you are in the comic book. This and the Gameplay are the best qualities in the game, but we'll get to that later. The cel-shaded moves are just.... wow. The best mutant power BY FAR would have to be Cyclops's Optic Rage. It looks BEAUTIFULLY rendered. The only reason this does not get a ten is because the Non-CG cutscenes do not change the style and they look a bit blocky (strangely, everyone has taken a liking to cooking, judging by their oven-mitt hands :) ).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gameplay 10/10
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, the meat and potatoes of this review. This is the. Best. X-Men. Gameplay. Ever. It's that simple. The seamless leveling up and beat-em-up elements let you give TOTAL customization. Also, the AI in this game ROCKS! I can let my allies beat up an enemy and they won't run away. The Mutant Powers are also VERY innovative when you speak of how they are performed. Simply hold R and press a button. In terms of how many powers you get, there are 2 attacks, a Shield, and an X-Treme power for each character that are TOTALLY unique. Yes, I'm talking to you, Fantastic 4. I loved being able to brawl as ANY character OR ENEMY!!! THAT ALONE makes multiplayer worthwhile. Fighting as Magneto and a Sentinel at the same time was SO COOL! I wish they could've incorporated that into Story mode. Well, if you want evil people at your disposal, just get the sequel. Other than that, the gameplay is simply flawless.

Rent or Buy
~~~~~~~~~

JUST GO AND BUY IT ALREADY!

This is THE BEST X-men game I have ever played. Enjoy.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/17/05