"Well, jeez, I expected better..."

Another year, another would-be blockbuster game from Sega comes and stinks because of poor design. Before you write me off as some crazed fanboy, hear me out.

It's 2004, games are more advanced then ever, and yet one company can't seem to make a decent camera engine. If you ever stop moving, the camera jams itself up your lead character's ass, and is stuck there until you wander blindly into some rabid enemy or go falling off the stage. That company is sega, and that game is Sonic Heroes. And, as per usual, the camera really, really, sucks. But I'll get to that later.

There's nothing like the graphics of a sega game, there's no question that they have their own style, but in this game, it's not a port, but the graphics are not as polished as they could be, even for the Cinematics. The pixels tend to jump around, and aren't sharp enough to merit anything higher than a 7. I give them as many points as I can without guilt, though, because they tried.

The music in SH is not as good as that of SA2:B or SA:DC, and I think that's a little inexcusable. The voicings are just the same, and the SFX aren't all that good to begin with. I give them an 8 for effort, and the BGM is pretty good as Sega games go, but they really fell off in terms of good title and character theme music.

This game, as far as gameplay goes, sucks. The camera, as I said, is really horrible, making it much, much worse than usual in a Sega game. It's 2000-frickin-4 people, get your act together. The three character system can be enjoyable, but it really doesn't make any improvements on old gameplay styles, and quite frankly, I don't think that removing the Treasure-Hunting parts of the game made any improvement on this game's dismal state of affairs. The controls also are inconsistent at best. It's all too often that the camera shifts randomly and you don't know what the hell you're doing until you've died.

Music was alright, camera stank, and the graphics weren't good by today's standards. This generally sums up a Sega game, but I think that this time it took the bad camera and controls to dangerous extremes, and the game got the bad end of it. I'm seriously reconsidering my love of sega after this, as it seems they can't make anything new these days that doesn't stink.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/09/04