Review by knux321

"Old-School Sonic in 3D? Count me in!"

Intro

Finally, the long-awaited Sonic Heroes is here! And it was definitely worth the wait! Sonic Heroes is more like the games of the Genesis Sonic days than the Sonic Adventure series, which is definitely a good thing. But, as usual, Sonic Team just had to try something new- this time, instead of playing as just one of the Sonic characters we all know and love, you play as three at a time... and, surprisingly, it works better than you'd think.

As I mentioned before, you play in teams of three. Each team has a speed character, a flying character, and a power character. In order to progress through the levels, you'll need to switch characters often. For example, you may need to switch to your power character to break a big rock in the way, or use your flying character to fly the team over a large gap. You may think that this would slow down the pace of the game, but it really doesn't. All you have to do to switch team members is press X or Y, depending on which one you want to switch to. After playing for about an hour, you'll get used to this, and will be playing as fast as ever.

Also, Sonic Team has made Sonic Heroes a lot like the old-school 2-D games on the Genesis. There isn't much story, which is a good thing. They've also taken out a lot of the pains of the Adventure series- treasure hunting, chao breeding, etc. They've also put the Special Stages back in, which was definitely a good move.

The good thing: There isn't much of a story. The bad thing: The story that's there isn't so great. But, it doesn't really matter, since it IS Sonic Game.

The graphics have definitely been taken up a notch from the Adventure series. The models themselves are good, and most of the animations are okay. A few of the running animations are a little sloppy, but are still pretty good, nonetheless.

The background music and sound effects are pretty good. The reason why I gave Sound a 5, though, is because of the voice acting. UGH! The voice acting! It burns! But seriously, some of the voices are enough to make you scream. And also, Tails now sounds like a two-year-old. No... just... no...

Replay Value: 8/10

Sonic Team has brought back the concept of emblems, and ranks for each level, which was a good thing, in my opinion. This added a lot of life to the Sonic Adventure series, and it also adds a lot of life to Sonic Heroes.

Rent or Buy?

Buy it. Especially if you're a Sonic fan. If you're not, you may want to rent it first. It does have it's flaws, but it's still a good game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/11/04