Review by mammoth

"See, THIS is What Sonic is SUPPOSED to Be About"

Sonic the Hedgehog was an exciting and fun game created in 1991 on the Sega Genesis. Over the years, there have been many great and exciting sequels to Sonic. Recently the Sonic Adventure series has not lived up to the old-school Sonic's reputation. When I first heard about Sonic Heroes, I was a little worried that it would follow the ''Adventure Path'' and be terrible. Boy, was I wrong!

Graphics: 10
Simply amazing! The graphics are crisp, polished, and shiny. I personally thought that the characters looked fantastic during the in-game cut scenes. The only bad thing is during 2-Player, the graphics don't look as good.

Sound: 10
The music is catchy and reminded me of playing Sonic 2 on my Genesis. Unlike the Adventure series, there aren't any lyrics to the music (except for maybe one level, the theme songs, and the character themes). I was very pleased that the music sounded like an old Sonic game. I can guarantee you'll get the music stuck in your head!

Gameplay: 10
WOW! The game is just so much fun! You control three characters at one time, one for speed, one for power, and one for flight. You can switch characters using the X and Y buttons. There are four teams to choose from, each with there own story, characters, and moves. The teams are:

Team Sonic: Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic 1), Miles ''Tails'' Prower (Sonic 2), and Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic 3). Use this team if you are at an Intermediate skill level.

Team Dark: Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Adventure 2), Rouge the Bat (Sonic Adventure 2), E-123 Omega (*NEW*). Use this team if you want a challenge with more enemies than usual.

Team Rose: Amy Rose (Sonic CD), Cream the Rabbit (Sonic Advance 2), and Big the Cat (Sonic Adventure). Use this team if you are a Beginner.

Team Chaotix: Espio the Chamelion (Knuckles Chaotix), Charmy the Bee (Knuckles Chaotix), and Vector the Crocodile (Knuckles Chaotix). Use this team if you enjoyed the treasure hunting from SA2/ SA2:B.

Each team is exciting and fun to play with! There are definitely less glitches in this game then the ever annoying ones in the Adventure series. The camera is a little better, but not much.

Story: 9
Like I said, each team has their own story line. Here is a brief summary of each:

Team Sonic:
Sonic is running across the globe when he runs into Tails and Knuckles. Tails gives Sonic a letter, which is from his arch-rival, Dr. Eggman. He says that he has developed the ultimate weapon and will conquer the world in three days. Sonic races off to find Eggman, with Tails and Knuckles following him.

Team Dark:
Rouge infiltrates Eggman's base to steal his treasures. Instead of finding treasure, he finds Shadow the Hedgehog, preserved in a case. Rouge releases him and suddenly, E-123 Omega, the newest E-series robot, starts destroying the base. Rouge calms him down and finds out that he was also locked up in the base. Shadow apparently has amnesia and can't remember anything. The three team up to get revenge on Eggman.

Team Rose:
Amy sees a picture of Sonic in the newspaper. As always, she wants to find him so she can marry him. Cream has lost her Chao's relative, Chocola, and Big has lost his pet Froggy again. According to the paper, all three of them were seen together. The three race off to find their lost Hedgehog/Frog/Chao.

Team Chaotix:
The Chaotix Detective Agency hasn't had a case in a very long time, until finally, Charmy receives a message from a person who says he'll pay big money if they will do what he want. Espio seems worried, but Vector says, ''You know our policy, we never turn down work that pays!'' So off they go!

All of the stories occasionally intervene. (I won't tell you how. You'll have to play for yourself! :P) After you beat the game with each team, you'll get a special story. The overall story is not as deep as the Adventure series, but since when has Sonic ever been about the plot?

Nostalgia: 10
I had to make a section for this. One word: WOW!! There are levels that are almost identical 3D versions of levels from the Genesis games. There is the return of the Chaotix, seven Chaos Emeralds to get, and the best part, SPECIAL STAGES!!

Replay Value:10
This game has great replay value! Even after you beat the game with all of the teams, you'll still want to try and get the remaining emblems. And, of course, you'll want to try to get all A ranks too. That's 140 emblems and A ranks to collect. I wonder what happens when you get all of them?

Buy or Rent?
Buy, definitely buy. The only reason you should rent this is if you're completely new to Sonic games or action games in general. This game will keep you entertained for a long time and I would recommend it to anyone, hero or not.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/24/04