Review by Sgt Johnson

"Oh &*#%, Oh ^$&$, I GOING TO CRASH AAAAAHHHH!!! *BAM*"

Need For Speed Underground. BEST. RACING GAME. EVER.

First, I must say that this is THE best arcade style racing game I've ever played. It doesn't quite get the simulation style like Grand Turismo, but NFSU beats GT in almost every other way.

Graphics 10/10
The graphics are simply amazing. Whenever I play mine my moth always goes to the floor because the graphics look AWESOME. The reflections on the streets just make your mouth drop to the floor and it stays there. The camera angles are good and NFSU pulls of the sense of speed like none other. When you go fast, the camera shakes and you feel like your going to go out of control. The car animations are stunning, AND you can make it look like whatever you want it to, from vinyls (HUGE stickers) to the Pearle cent Paint (Changes color as you move), from the headlights to the neon lights you can customize anything. The tracks are also some of the best I've seen in a racing game. The designers made the tracks then put in the scenery so this is not an actual city, which In My Opinion is very limited in racing. But Just seeing the trees zip by is cooler than you think because you always think, "Oh &*#%, Oh ^$&$, I GOING TO CRASH AAAAAHHHH!!! *BAM*" A certain 10/10. My only complaint is no vehicle damage, though why would you want to see your beauty all beaten up? *Shivers*

Sound 10/10
I am not just being nice, the sound is AMAZING! The music fits the style of game, the gears (on manual) sound powerful, your engine sounds all pimped out and your tires screech like a banshee. Because sound is hard to describe on paper, just go play the game, beat it, and then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Game play 4/10
Don't get me wrong this game is SWEET, but there are two problems. 1.) There are no replays so when you pull a cool move like dodging a train or getting hit by it and go flying and your friends are not watching, saver the moment because it will never happen again. (The EXACT same way anyway.) Nor will you see it again. Replays would've made the score 154/10 but...yeah. 2.) There is a VERY limited selection of cars. There are like only 20 throughout the game, and most seem to be all that used since (for ex.) everything is better than a Golf like the Miata (Which is better than anything, stat wise). But now for the PROS. The game is so neat. You feel you are an actual street racer and you have to tune up your ride and it is just cool. But that's just the story. The racing is the greatest I've seen. The drag races will put you on the edge of your seat missing cars by mere inches, the drifts will actually make you turn the controller in a feeble attempt not to crash into a wall, and even the normal circuit races when your on the final stretch, hitting your nitrous and catching up to the guy who is about to cross the finish line will make you go, "Oh &*#%, Oh ^$&$, Oh YES I WON!"Nothing can match that. Priceless. Another strong point is the amazing A.I.; best I've seen in a racing game, they actually carry grudges. Ex. You hit a guy at the start of the race making him crash; he will unleash all heck onto your life until you crash. However, because of the cool stuff described above and not being able to see it over and over with replays I have to give the game a shameful 4/10. YES REPLAYS ARE THAT IMPORTANT IN THIS GAME!

Multiplayer 9/10
STUPENDOUS multiplayer split screen mode. Here if you and your friend have different profiles, you can race to see whose car is the best. Imagine playing all the above with a friend head-to-head. Very fun. I will now describe it AGAIN because I am persuading you to buy this game. The drag races will put you on the edge of your seat missing cars by mere inches, the drifts will actually make you turn the controller in a feeble attempt not to crash into a wall, and even the normal circuit races when your on the final stretch, hitting your nitrous and catching up to the guy who is about to cross the finish line will make you go, "Oh &*#%, Oh ^$&$, Oh YES I WON!"

Controls and Options 8/10
The controls are very ARCADE-Y, meaning they're tight and not like the actual cars in real life. There is an option to turn of the stability so you are in complete control. There is nothing really special about the main options, yet there is nothing wrong with them either.

Overall 9.1/10
This game will keep you occupied for many hours of grueling game play. The sound and graphics are amazing and the speed will make you go "Oh &*#%, Oh ^$&$, Oh YES I WON!"(Love that line). Seriously, if you want a good game to play, look no further, this game is MARVELOUS! To put this game in a few words I would use, MARVELOUS, ARCADE-Y, STUPENDOUS, SWEET, AMAZING, AWESOME, and it good too. Though there are no replays, it is still a very fun game to play against a buddy, or even by yourself. Happy driving.

Rent or BUY?
I strongly advise to at least RENT this game; you will have fun for ALL 7 days. If you like what you rent should you...
A.) Burn the disk and pay for it
B.) Buy the game
C.) Eat it, Flush it, Rinse, Repeat if Necessary
D.) All of the above

If you chose B then I agree, if you chose D (and you had some anger problems) I wouldn't blame you, this game does get tough if your not good at racing games, even if you are good you will get stuck.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/04