Review by rabidcheesehead

"You're dead inside if you don't like this game"

Introduction: Gotcha Force is without a doubt one of my favorite games ever. It involves selecting a team of small, action figure like robots called “gotcha borgs” and having them senselessly destroy each other. This game deserves at least a try from anyone. I've never seen anyone give it a try and not like it.

The story is lame and uninspired. It's about evil borgs coming to destroy the earth. Parts of it seem to be lost in translation as well. Either that, or they weren't there in the Japanese version either. For example, one character that you meet tells you that gotcha borgs are the enemies of his father. He never elaborates on this statement or even mentions his father ever again. As you've probably noticed, it isn't very good. However, the storyline doesn't matter. If you want a good story, read a book or watch a movie or something.

The voice acting is horrible. One example is that one character will yell out “Fists of furry” at random times in the battle. Let me point out that “furry” is not a typo, and that he does not say “fury”.

I've never noticed the in battle music. This is probably not a good thing. I usually just mute the TV and listen to the radio or something. The only music that has stood out to me is the song that plays whenever you lose a battle.

There is nothing wrong with the graphics, but they aren't good enough to deserve a 10. The human characters are drawn in anime style like nearly every other game from Japan. The rest of the game is done in really bright colors, is very well detailed, and really fits with the overall feel of the game.

Gameplay: 9.5/10

It's pretty simple. You choose a team of up to thirty borgs and lead them into battle against other borgs. Each borg has a cost, and to prevent you from picking the thirty 1337est things you have, there is a maximum cost that you can't exceed. Fortunately, this maximum cost increases every battle.

The best way to describe the battle system is to say that it is like Super Smash Brothers Melee, except not limited to a 2D plane and infinitely more fun. The controls are very simple. The control stick moves your borg. A is jump. B is your basic attack, and for most borgs it changes depending on the range that you are at. X is another attack. L and R change which borg you are targeting, and Z targets your ally. Y activates hyper mode when the gauge is full, a condition that gives your team infinite ammo and increased speed and power for a limited time. Some borgs also have a charge attack that you can activate by holding down the B or X button until a gauge fills and releasing the button when you want to use the attack.

As much as I would like to give this section a 10/10, there are certain flaws that can't be ignored. First of all, there are a few times when the game slows down horribly. This happens usually when both teams are in hyper mode or there are a lot of bullets on the screen. Another minor thing is a lack of collision detection at times. For example, you can be walking along beside a wall when suddenly you can see your characters sword going through it. Another small problem is when a large borg spawns inside of a space that it would not fit into, it becomes small enough to fit into until it leaves the area. The largest and most annoying flaw with the gameplay is the camera. You can't change the fact that you're camera is locked onto a borg. Think of the targeting system from Legend of Zelda, except required and more annoying. The problem this creates is that if an enemy borg is far above you, it seems like the camera is having a seizure.

Replay: 10/10

The counter of how many times you have beaten the story stops at 8. The fact that I know this should be a good indication of how good the replay value is. There are 200 borgs to collect, and each of them have a gold, silver, crystal, and black version. Around half of them have an alternate color version as well. I can't understand you being bored with this game any time soon.

Buy it. Now.

Good:
Gameplay
Replay value
Graphics
Overall 1337ness

Bad:
Voice acting
Story