Review by Jedinortdog1

"The Pokemon Saga continues"

Well, here we are again with another Pokemon game. It has been a while since we have seen our little pocket monsters in 3D. If you have been looking for something completely different from other Pokemon games (like the stadium series) you will be a little disappointed.

Graphics: 8
The graphics aren't too bad. The most glaring problem is how ugly the surroundings are. This game takes place in the Orre region and it is very bare. One town in particular is absolutly hideous. You really get a feel of a backwater land. The character models are decent although some are over the top and looks too different from everyone else. The Pokemon look great and so do the attacks they perform. All in all not bad, just not impresive.

Sound: 8
I actually like most of the music. Believe it or not I actually miss the announcer during the colosseum battles. Also you can barely hear the Pokemon themselves. More noises from them would have been nice.

Story: 8
The story is decent enough. The dialougue comes across a little cheesy. What makes the story better is the ability to snag pokemon. If this was a first Pokemon game the score would be lower. Since this one departs from the other games I gave it a little better score because it dares to be different, something most games lack.

Playability: 9
It plays just how you would expect a Pokemon game to play. The only thing that bothers me is that they eliminated hunting pokemon in the wild. The only way to battle is to find trainers. The only way to catch pokemon is to snag them from trainers. I feel that this is limiting, especially since all this takes place in towns only. It would have been nice to be able to do a little more exploring.

Replay Value: 10
This game's replay is great because of the multiplayer mode. It's always great to battle friends with pokemon that you and others have trained.

Actual Score: 8.5

Colosseum is a great game with just a few shortcomings. If you are a pokemon fan then I suggest getting this game. If you are new to the franchise or just casually play, I would suggest renting first. If you have played the Stadium games then you have played this one, except that this game has a story mode to it which stands alone as a decent game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/25/04